Looking for Best LED Flashlight

Page 3 of 3

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I've got a couple of the HF freebies so far, and plan to monitor my ad throwaways closely for some more of the coupons. They are one notch above junk, but for what I need them for (briefcase, both cars, etc) they are good enough. Somewhere around here I have an old-style Mag 4-cell, but I haven't used it in ages. As long as there aren't oncoming headlights or something, my dark vision is still pretty good, so a dim blue light is good enough for most of my needs. In the road-trip car, I carry a plug-in Brinkman Q-beam, which is basically an aircraft landing light. Haven't needed it in years, probably oughta make sure it still works. There is a revolving magnet-mount light in the same bag with it. I don't go out at night much anymore....
--
aem sends...

I've got a couple of the HF freebies so far, and plan to monitor my ad throwaways closely for some more of the coupons. They are one notch above junk, but for what I need them for (briefcase, both cars, etc) they are good enough.
CY: The HF "short lights" are reasonable for the sale price. I actually like them.
Somewhere around here I have an old-style Mag 4-cell, but I haven't used it in ages.
CY: Please replace the batteries at your earliest convenience. I just found another light of mine with a corroded battery. So, that's in my mind at the moment. I've heard Energizers are very good quality.
As long as there aren't oncoming headlights or something, my dark vision is still pretty good, so a dim blue light is good enough for most of my needs.
CY: They may have changed LED, cause the HF light I got a couple years ago really screamed out light. I was pleased. Wonder if I still have that around.
In the road-trip car, I carry a plug-in Brinkman Q-beam, which is basically an aircraft landing light. Haven't needed it in years, probably oughta make sure it still works.
CY: Should, if your lighter socket is powered.
There is a revolving magnet-mount light in the same bag with it. I don't go out at night much anymore....
CY: You're not missing much.
There are a zillion different models out there now.
I have an older one that uses D cells with multiple little LEDs, the advantage is it can run for 100 hours or more. It's not that bright, tho.
Newer 1-3 watt LEDs are very bright - and compact - but use a lot of power, will only run a few hours on a couple of AA cells.
Depends what you need it for.
Get a couple, they're mostly pretty cheap.
J.

Four years ago, I asked this newsgroup for recommendations for a good flashlight. I can't remember who recommended it, but I bought a Streamlight twin task, which is Xenon, and LED. The model I got uses 3 AA batteries, but they have others that are rechargeable. I use this thing every day at work, five days a week or more, and I don't mean that I carry it, I use the thing, and it works as well today, as the day I got it, in fact it hasn't even burned out the xenon bulb yet. If you want top quality, built to take abuse and keep going, check out Streamlight
frank1492 wrote:

I like the idea of AA cells. In my experience, AA NiMH will hold a charge many weeks, and you can carry a charged set in your pocket in case you get caught short.
My most useful light uses 3 AA NiMH. Unfortunately they are soldered in. To me, that's a big flaw because I can't change to charged cells when using it as a lantern in a power failure, and it will be more trouble to repair if it needs new cells. However, the 14-hour run time has always been adequate, and the cells work fine after 2 years.
It's a Victor Bright Bar trouble light with 26 LEDs. It cost me about $25. The first advantage is that it floods an area with an even light that makes it easy to see what I'm doing. The second advantage is that it's versatile in the way it can be hung, stood, leaned, or laid to light a work area. The light is so effective that if I'm working on my car, I may be able to see better if I wait until dark and depend entirely on the Bright Bar.
Its yellow handle and 15" height make it easy to spot in a cluttered room. To carry, it feels about like a conventional light with 2 D cells. The evenness of the light make it desirable to spot a small item on the ground or a small animal 50 feet away. I have a sealed-beam light whose beam is pretty intense even 1000 feet away, but for most purposes I can see better with the Bright Bar.
I also have an Energizer LED head lamp, which cost about $10. Its switch sequences through a 70ma spotlight, a 35ma floodlight, and a red light. The floodlight makes a better work light and for my purposes is as bright as the spotlight. I would have designed it with the floodlight only and to use 3 AA cells instead of 3 AAA cells.
It's useful because it requires no hands and fresh cells could be popped in during a power failure. That reminds me, I should buy more AAA NiMH. They're pretty cheap these days.
frank1492 wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
I have the orange version just like it that I keep in my truck all the time. Bought it at Grainger's last year for about $20.
Bob
One major good resource for LED flashlights, along with some non-flashlight LED products, a few non-LED flashlights and lighting products and a few laser products, is:
http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/ledleft.htm
Please allow yourself time for that one!
The author there is a major contributor to candlepowerforums.com, another useful resource although that one is a discussion board.

http://www.batteryjunction.com .
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

If you are just going to throw it in your glove box, CostCo has a three pack for $15 of 14 LED 40 Lumen flashlights.
frank1492 wrote:

Where's that Dick Tracy Atomic Light when you need it?
TDD