locust decking?

Has anybody out there ever used black locust as a decking material? It is strong and rot-proof, but it might be undesirable in other ways. I have used small pieces for this and that but have no experience with it as boards out in the weather.

Reply to
heteroscedastic

I use a lot for firewood, fence posts, etc. Also seen it for roughsawn 4x4, beams etc.

I don't see it very practical as decking material - it is bad for splinters (rough sawn/split), checks badly when cured, splits very easy when dry. I, for sure, have doubts about trying to use nails to fasten a 2x board.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Black locust sapwood is, as you note, very durable and weather/rot resistant.

It is very hard and has stiffness nearly that of the hickories so is excellent structurally.

That said, it's very hard so unless it's laid green it will require pilot holes likely to drive any nail or a pneumatic nailer to lay it; I've never tried a screw gun but wouldn't be at all surprised if one were to have difficulty there w/o pilot holes, too.

Trees grow typically w/ many limbs so large pieces of lumber are rare w/o knots/holes and it's very prone to borers so much will have borer holes as well unless graded.

It isn't used much as commercial lumber; a source might be an issue unless you've got a supply on own ground or similar.

I've used it extensively in landscaping where the longevity is its outstanding feature but there one doesn't really care about the appearance aspects above.

All in all, if you have access to it and like the appearance, it will work fine for the purpose accounting for the hardness in working with it. (I've not used the imported recent ipe fad; know it's also hard but didn't look up just how they might compare...but think ash/hickory hard harder than oak for black locust)

HTH...

Reply to
dpb