Oil furnace rating, you were right and I *think* I was too.

Oil furnace rating, you were right and I still think I was too, for different furnaces.

We resolved this at the time, but to review, a couple weeks ago, we at first disagreed on how furnaces were rated. Have they changed how they are rated since 1979?

My current oil furnace, almost 32 years old says in its manual and elsewhere,

Input, 106,000 BTU Bonn Capacity 85,000 BTU Model 58HV085

Bonn Cap. is bonnet capacity?? And is that the same as output??? And the model number is named after 85,000 bonnet cap. Or output? Which is why I said it was rated on output, although maybe that's not a good enough reason to say that?? (There are several of different sizes that are 58HV---

But the replacement I was looking at was rated in the title at 70,000 to 90,000 (since with different nozzles it has different burn rates.) and when I looked at the specs, it was

Input, 70,000 BTU Output 58,000 Nowhere near what I need.

So I'm glad you, whoever you were, told me that they were rated on input, or I'd still be spinning around in circles. But my current furnace is rated on output, isn't it?

Also, 85,000 appears on the blueprints as the proper furnace, and that is the furnace they installed in every one of these identical houses. Have they changed how things are rated since 1979?????

Thanks.

Reply to
mm

Yes. The difference between input and output is what goes up the flue. In other words, you are buying an 80% efficient furnace.

Reply to
Robert Neville

The difference between in put and output is the efficiency. It appears that the new model you looked at is not much more efficient than the old one. I think you can get into the high 80's for oil. I'm not familiar with all the models of hot air furnaces since I'm using a hot water boiler

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thanks, Ed, and thanks Robert. I hate shopping but it's necessary.

Reply to
mm