Local news, tools to carry in car

Page 1 of 3
I suppose this was on the local TV news, or some place like that.
When the weather started having snow west of here, the reader read something about how, in order to be safe, one should carry tools in the car, and they specified a pair of pliers and an adjustable wrench.
I thought to myself, "An adjustable wrench is good for a bicyle, but how often does it ever fit anything on a car, especially something that needs turning?"
And then I looked up at the screen and it showed a picture of pliers and a medium-size pipe wrench.
Who writes this stuff, anyhow?
On 11/30/2013 10:36 PM, micky wrote:

Undoubtedly, the same Pulitzer prize winning journalists who write of the evil "automatic revolvers," "fully automatic pistols with spare clips" and, my favorite, "gun violence." IOW... IDIOTS!

They get their information from the Internet.
<http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/09/16/journalists-guide-to-firearm-identification/
On 12/1/2013 1:52 PM, Neill Massello wrote:

Sort of like those who decry "He had an arsenal! Over 500 rounds of ammunition, two handguns and at least five rifles."
Don't know about you, but around here (and I'm in Illinois for god's sake) we call that kind of person ill-prepared or deprived.<g>
On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 18:44:07 -0600, Unquestionably Confused

Holy crap! What a piker.

I'd call anyone in[*] Illinois ill-prepared and deprived. ;-)
[*] I was born there but escaped right after college (left the day I graduated). I left family behind the soybean curtain, though.
Jumper cables battery jumper pack compressor tire plug Lug wrench / torque wrench for lugs
What I've used this year....
--
.
Christopher A. Young

It may have been written properly and illustrated by a clueless editor. The adjustable may be good for a battery cable but I'll have to get back to you on the pipe wrench. Most "how to" articles on the news are really lame.
That said, I have but maybe a screwdriver in the car. It is not 1963 any more where we could rebuild an engine or replace a driveshaft along side of the road. If a car breaks down today you call roadside assistance. My car came with five years of it.
Last time I broke down on the road was 1986 and it was nothing fixable on the roadside. We were 150 miles from home and the dealer could do nothing until the next day. Glad is was a company car and I was on company business.
I've had a couple puncture tires, one wheel fall off, and a dead fuel pump. My AAA membership has been very valuable.
I do carry some basic tools, jumper cables, candles and matches, snow shovel, tow rope, fire extinguisher. Water, food, change of dry clothes.
A couple Sundays ago, I gave someone a jump start after church. My jumper pack with the battery did the job.
Sounds like that news cast was a a bit off. Pipe wrench? Huh?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Protection against potential car thieves?
On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 06:37:26 -0700, RobertMacy

A tire iron and .45 are a better idea. Though if your car is broken down...

;-)
How do you pronounce .45?

Fo Fa Fo, Fa Fo, Fo, Fa.
What's that?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Tuxedo Junction?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwL9xf3YQ-4

Jesse Jackson's phone number.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/2/2013 7:10 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Silly Mormon... That would be "Looka me me me me me me"
He'd have corrected you himself but he's busy this weekend visiting his disgraced son in prison and asking him to please keep quiet.

Wonder if we can get him appointment with Michael Jackson's personal physician?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/2/2013 8:09 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Too bad it's too late to get an appointment for either one (or both) of them up with Dr. Kevorkian<g>
On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 07:41:41 -0600, Unquestionably Confused

No, that's Obama's cell phone number.

He'll get paid off for taking the fall.
On 12/1/2013 7:37 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

That's what a lug wrench/tire tool is for. ^_^
TDD

Since running over a cast-off piece of truck tire on the interstate a few weeks ago, I've added a couple of things to my car tool kit.
One is a utility knife to cut the fender liner away from the fender and another is a set of bungee cords to tie up the dragging pieces of undercarriage shield which partially ripped away from its mounting screws.
Tomsic