How to carry a jointer?

I am buying a used 6" jointer. They weigh 200 pounds, and I wonder how they can be carried.

Is it okay to carry them by the tables, or will that do some damage? If not by the tables, then how?

I assume the motor can be removed, yes? That should cut the weight down a little. Hopefully it will be easier than the used table saw I bought last year...

Reply to
toller

A hand truck will work just fine to get it out to your truck/trailer. Then remove the fence & guard, set the infeed table to the same height as the outfeed table, and secure/remove the motor. Put a rubber doormat or two on the floor of the transport and put the jointer on it upside down. You'll need to securely tie the jointer both top & bottom to prevent it from sliding around as well as tipping over.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

Just pick it up and set it in the back of your truck on a rubber no-slip mat. The tables are more than stron enough. Care should be given to banging the fence around. You will need to tune it up anyway.

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

You didn't say how far you are going. I would say your general instinct is good -- don't lift on the tables, 'specially out at the ends. Most new 8" jointers come in two parts: base and upper body with the upper body bolted down and tables supported. I'd guess 6" is about the same if it's a closed stand. Assuming it's a closed stand it may be easier to separate the upper and lower parts than pulling the motor.

Otherwise, lift near the center, use carts/wheels and go slow.

Good luck,

hex

-30-

Reply to
hex

I wouldn't lift it by the tables. I just moved my 8" using an appliance dolley (a hand truck with a strap). Just lifted it from the front and moved it on to the truck (took two of us to push it up the ramp). Once on the truck I strapped it to the tie downs on the side. No problems.

Montyhp

Reply to
Montyhp

I recommendrecruiting two volunteers.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

Much beer is required for machinery moving, although not enough to be counter-productive. :)

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

I remember that!