How much weight can I carry in my small car?

F1 Max. permissible mass (exc m/c) 1525 G Mass in service 1150

What on earth does that mean?

Tim w

Reply to
TimW

service 1150

More or less that the mass when parked up with nothing added from manufacture is 1150 kg. Maximum permitted weight including all extras, passengers and contents (including slabs) is 1525 kg.

Start with 1525 - 1150 = 375 kg. Then work out roughly what you (driver) weigh and what else is in the car. That gives you an idea (only roughly) how much cargo you can carry. Only way to really know the starting weight is to put the car on a weighbridge.

I would guess that 250 kg would be safe, but don't trust me.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I'd say that was a reasonable calculation. My Suzuki Carry van is rated to carry 500kg. I have done that a few times for 15 miles or so from Wickes. It is down at the back a bit. Be aware that your handling and braking will be significantly affected. When I moved house 30 years ago I had Citroen CX estates, and I took a good few loads of rubble, etc. to the local tip. With those, the hydraulics levels it all up for you, so overloading is not so obvious. But the effect on handling certainly is.

You may find there is a very reasonable delivery option if you need more than one car load.

Reply to
newshound

Thanks Dave, that does make sense, 250kg would be like three adult 85kg passengers in addition to me. TW

Reply to
TimW

David used his keyboard to write :

There are also maximum loads on each axle to consider, you vannot just load all of the payloa over one axle.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

In the case of a car you would find it difficult to drive if you did that.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Michael Chare explained on 14/08/2021 :

The design accounts for passngers and loading in the boot, spread over both axles. The op is considering adding his laod just to the boot, which will be all on the rear axle, possibly negatively affecting the from axle.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Certainly might affect the steering.

Reply to
charles

The first figure is (I hope) obvious. According to the DVLA the second is the vehicle mass including 90% fuel and 75kg for driver. Therefore

1525-1150=375kg is what's available for the load. There are axle limits too so distribution should be considered.
Reply to
nothanks

Okay so I will put the back seats down. It's a mini so the wheels are more or less on the corners, no overhangs.

TW

Reply to
TimW

Or get a man with a van to do it all in one go of course. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

A point only normally worried about for multi-axle HGVs. In the quoted MAM for a car there is an implicit assumption that the load is reasonably evenly distributed. If you can drop the seats it is always a good idea to get as much weight centrally as you can. If you put the permitted weight limit all in the boot it will certainly lighten the steering and it would be a good idea to increase the rear tyre pressures to their upper limit. But I doubt if you would actually exceed any limit. Maybe if you put a (legal) amount of neutron star on your tow-hitch?

Reply to
newshound

When I put a ton of bricks in my LWB defender, it behaved as if I were towing a caravan. The back end had a mind of its own and started to sway much over 60mph

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just inside the 1040 kg limit then!

At one time we had a works Disco, and I thought that used to wander around in a strange way even when unloaded.

Reply to
newshound

Yes. the LWB defender was not a good handling vehicle either even unloaded

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Be aware that in a heavily loaded car sleeping policeman can do serious damage to the suspension. Steering will be very light and breaking distances longer and potentially load rearranging if too fierce.

You don't want something heavy hitting the back of your seat!

Reply to
Martin Brown

.....> damage to the suspension. Steering will be very light and breaking

I guess if the braking distance is too much longer, he may well break something. (Just getting my coat)

Reply to
Scribbles