Lights flickering

OK -- maybe this sounds dumb...I don't know. We just finished a basement renovation job involving some electrical work. We installed 3 halogen pot lights and 3 2-tube fluorescent lights all off of one switch. When we connected everything and powered it up the fluorescent lights flickered...pretty bad. It was hard on the eyes to be in the room. The little instruction paper included in the box indicated that the tubes may need to be "seasoned"...and suggested leaving the lights on for 24-48 hours. Other suggestions regarding temperature, etc., weren't applicable in this situation.
My question is:
Was wiring up 3 halogen and 3 fluorescent lights on the same circuit wrong? Logically it doesn't seem so but I started thinking that maybe something is not compatible. Or is the entire problem directly related to the new bulbs/fixture/ballasts, etc.?
Please shed "light" on this if possible.
Thanks!
Make sure the flourescent bulbs are wired correctly. The white wire on 8' bulbs has to be on the same tube as either the red or blue wire from the ballast, I forget which. The ballast will show a diagram with the correct polarity on it. Also make sure the flourescent fixture case is well grounded. Failure to do so will cause the bulbs to flicker or not come on to full brightness. One other thing, if it is cold in the basement, you may have a problem. Most ballasts have a minimum operating temperature.
Hope this helps.
Stretch
Make sure they're not on a dimmer. Other than that, magnetically ballasted fluorescent fixtures, those that use T-12 lamps, often swirl or pulse when they are new or cold

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote:

You got some good advice already. I will add one thing. Make sure the fluorescent lamps have a good ground. The metal parts need to be grounded.
New fluorescent lamps often need some time to burn in. Try leaving them on for like 12 hours. That may help. Dimmers are problems on most should never be used with a dimmer, it not only may cause flickering, but it also can be a fire hazard. Not all fluorescent lamps are designed for cold areas, especially the cheap ones.
Good Luck
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
On 31 Oct 2005 18:56:20 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote:

You should know in 24 to 48 hours.
But I'm definitely not criticizing you for asking.

To answer your question -- no, there should not be a problem of interference when both halogen incandescent and fluorescent fixtures are connected to the same circuit.
TKM