water leak through plumbing hole in the basement

During the last rain (it rained for a week) I found water in the basement (quite a bit) and found the source. The white colored plumbing is laid inside another black colored tubing as it goes to the outside and the water leak was coming from narrow gap between the plumbing and the outer tube. The builder hadn't sealed the outer tube very well on the outside. Repeated calls to him left unanswered. I obviously don't want to dig up the ground on the outside to look for the plumbing tube. Is there anything I can do inside the basement (perhaps push something through the narrow gap) to seal it?

thanks SS

Reply to
SS

Yes, once it dries out. That space should go completely through the wall. You can use a good silicone caulk in there. Excavation on the outside would be unnesecary in my opinion. Trick will be getting the caulk deep into the hole.

Somone might recomend hydrolic cement, I think thats the wrong thing to use in your situation as I understand it.

Now, this shouldn't have leaked, even unsealed in my opinion.

Check you outside grading. Is there at least a 1/4" per foot pitch away from the house? Check your downspouts. Do they carry the water away at least 4 feet, 6 or more is better, best is to a drywell or culvert?

Reply to
No

Here in New England, the recent rains caused many basements to get water that never had water. I know of one house that was dry for 40 years got 2" of water, another that was dry for 20 years got 3 feet. Never had any at work but we got 18" in our plant. First time since the hurricane of 1936

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yes, unusual circumstances for sure. We had 8 days straight of rain where I am as well. Not as far north as NH. Still my basement is dry. I have gutters going underground to a drywell which overflows into a culvert at the back of the property plus proper grading. Those things are key to keeping things dry. Neighbor had 2 feet of water in his basement. He does not have proper grading.

Reply to
No