Lightning strike blows fuses

A big, nearby lightning strike blew out 4 fuses in the fuse box, and also the fuse that is next to the furnace; both in the garage. I know that if a fuse blows again, just after replacement, there is a short circuit; but if it doesn't blow, does this mean everything is definitely okay? I am worried that the wiring inside the walls could have been damaged, and could overheat slowly, giving a delayed problem. I have to be away from home alot, and am feeling paranoid about even replacing the fuses before I leave. I understand electrical wiring, but lightning is out of my league. I am also on a very limited budget, so I don't want to call in a pro if not really necessary. I would appreciate any input. Thanks

Reply to
lynp

This is insurance related, call your ins co.

Reply to
mark Ransley

If it doesn't blow after replacing fuses, it could all be ok, or the circuit could be open due to the lightning.. So if all lighting and appliances work once you replace fuses, that is a good sign. Being that you are away alot, I would also do a test where you load up each circuit with a heavy load, to test for partially burned, high resistance runs of wiring. If the fuses blow before the wiring fails, you are likely alright.

(snip) but if it doesn't blow, does this mean everything is

(snip)

Reply to
Roger

talk to your ins co, they want your house safe, its best to get a pro to look at your lines . pulling outlets will do.

Reply to
mark Ransley