Liar! Liar! Pants on fire!

Check out this shop vacuum:

What kind of marketing trickery is peak hp? They claim the unit has 6.5 of them.

In a perfect, no-loss world, that would require 6.5*746 or 4849 watts or 40.4 amps.

You think peak hp is a useful measurement for the consumer when purchasing a vacuum cleaner?

But wait, there's more...

Scroll down and you'll find the air-watt rating listed at 385.

385 air-watts / 746 watts per hp yields a more useful rating of less than 1 hp.

So the big, bold, useless 6.5 is a bit different from the less-than-1 actual, don't you think?

In my opinion, SlopVac makes VW look like a bunch of Boy Scouts.

Reply to
Liar Liar

Good point

found this

philo

Every once in a while these weasels get caught but that peak HP is simply horse poop. I did get a metal nibbler as the settlement on a compressor "peak HP" scam but, as usual, the other weasels, the lawyers, really cashed in.

The best I can tell, peak HP is computed, based on the locked rotor current of the motor or what the instantaneous effort it would take to stop the rotor. Whatever it is, it does not mean anything.

Reply to
gfretwell

If you actually put the kind of current through a motor the label implies, it would be a flashbulb

Reply to
gfretwell

Good find. Fully explained on one page.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Good find. Fully explained on one page.

Power, HP, Watts, Btuh., it is not all times what it looks!!! Example: If we are to use formula from above?

1HP=746 watts, (1HP=12000Btuh,) 1watt= x3.41=Btuh. But 746 watt x 3.41= 2544 Btuh. Why and how come ??? If? 1HP=12,000/3.41, 1Hp it should =3519 watts it doesn?t ?? What these equation tells me that Each is based on it?s own, There is no one basic to fallow. You can fallow OHMS law but separately from Btuh. Btuh. vs hp. must be on condition which is used, for Refrigeration is one for AC is the other.

(In a perfect, no-loss world, that would require 6.5*746 or 4849 watts or

40.4 amps. )

This reading can be Peak RMS or known as ?SPIKE? and spikes can be high as four times rated Value. Amp-probes can not peak up this, it most be measured with Oscilloscopes? Specifically design for peak Measurements.

The Air watts I never hear of, Ware that came from. We also have another scenario, have any one of you try to purchase Audio Amplifier and sales person tell you this unit is grate it is 600 watts output. Ha ha take good look on the back side it says fuse 3 amp. Max. Well if is fused for 3 amp. And 120 max. input is 360 watts, they selling it for

600 watts that is excellent efficiency you can start selling Electricity back to PE&G. You see that is peak RMS which to any user don?t mean shit. And this power can only be measure with Oscilloscopes Under ideal conditions.
Reply to
tony944