Leaving a drill battery in charger

Page 2 of 2
on 10/6/2007 9:31 AM Jim Yanik said the following:

After reading your post, I tried putting a Ryobi 12v battery pack into a Ryobi 18v charger, The 12v battery neck is exactly the same size and configuration as the 18v pack, and fit into the 18v charger. However, the charger lights did not come on with the 12v pack, but did with the 18v pack (as they should).
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I wish someone would come up with a universal charger that fits ALL of those drill (and other tool) batteries, and has a switch to select the voltage. I got at least 5 different tools/batteries here, and several dont have chargers. At the price of chargers, I'd rather just buy one for all tools. Hopefully someone will eventually make one. It's too bad that not all batteries were not initially made the same shape, not to mention voltage. Of course the voltage seems to keep getting higher, which means more power, but heavier batteries/tools. I'm wondering what will happen when they get to 120volts. Will they also plug in to a common outlet? (yeah, they will have to convert to DC).
snipped-for-privacy@oink.com wrote in wrote:

Why? where's the market for such a charger? (Considering that most drills come with a charger) If there's not a big enough market,there will not be any profit in making one.
you would have to have adapters for each type,as bases,electric connections and charge sensing will be different for each brand of battery. That is going to add up to a considerable cost.

That's why the change to Lithium-ion batteries;more energy at lower weight,plus the no-self-discharge characteristic. Also fewer cells to supply a desired voltage.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Hi Jim, nice to see you back.
Last week you and I were having a discussion about the use of the Customer Service Reps vs. the manual and I don't recall see a response to my last question to you. Allow me to ask it again...perhaps I misunderstood the seemingly inconsistant comments you made in two different posts. Here's what I posted on 10-6:
***** Begin Included Text *****
BTW here's something I find interesting...In one post you said:
- It also conserves the phone support resource for truly necessary questions from deserving people.
Then in another post you agreed with the following sentiment, calling it a "Good one!"
"I'll do all I can to keep from talking to those foreign tech supporters who can't comprehend what I'm asking and don't have enough english vocabulary to explain the answers I'm looking for."
So which is it? Are the CSR's a precious resource to be reserved for truly deserving people or are they to be avoided because they can't speak your native language? I don't believe you can have it both ways.

Uh,the two are separate problems. Perhaps you honestly believe that employing cheaper foreign support people means there will be more of them,making for a larger resource.I am not that naive.

it appears you're looking for a fight here. Since it means SO much to you,here's my answer,FWIW;
I can agree with not wanting to deal with foreign tech support people;both on the basis of those jobs should be done by employing OUR citizens,and secondly because the foreigners don't have a good command of English or have a severe accent making them hard to understand.What good is an answer if you cannot understand it because the accent has garbled it? (at least a printed FAQ is accent-free;in English and readable.)
Certainly,calling any tech support when the answers you seek are on on a company website means that more tech support may need to be hired. (maybe raising the price of the product...) More phonecalls mean that more people and more phone lines are needed to handle the added volume;X number of techs can only handle so many calls per shift,or the wait gets longer.Asking questions that have been answered on the website uses up bandwidth(phone line/tech time).
Your being lazy,and that is what it is,usually means a longer wait for others that have questions not answered on the website.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik