Lawnmower suggestions?

I am looking at giving a gift of a lawnmower to a first time home purchaser. I can fully remember my first house and how relatives were very generous in giving us the help we needed in establishing a nice home. It's now my turn to be generous so hopefully I can get some first hand knowledge from the people of this group. Here are the details.
The property is four acres in size and hilly. It is in a northern climate and has a long driveway.
So.........I need a riding mower that can have a optional snow plow or blower attached to it. I favor hydrostatic drives over standard transmissions and because of the hills the mower should have a low center of gravity.
I have never owned a riding mower myself so fill me in on what may be a good choice and let me know what to stay away from.
Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

try alt.home.lawn.garden
They can be a little rambunctious but they might have some good advice too. I just bought a Craftsman but had to return the first one (mower deck height was to low) but in the end I got a new one built just two days before I received it. I favored the shift on the fender and the full pressure oil system because I have hills too I think you would want a larger deck because of the acreage. They have good advice for older equipment too. the one that I bought: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07128738000P?filter=Horsepower%7C22+hp&vName=Lawn+%26+Garden&cName=Lawn+Tractors&sName=Lawn+Tractor+Series&sLevel=2|3 Clark
snip

I will repost the thread there.

Thanks for the pressured oil system advise. I had forgotten about that aspect.
I love my John Deere X340.
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 18:10:10 -0400, tnom wrote:

You should visit the nearest John Deere or Toro shop. I suppose you'll be getting into at least $4000.00.

John Deere, Dixon, or Kubota ZTR mower. Get your checkbook out. You get what you pay for.
Steve
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Hi, I am a John Deere fan.
On Sep 25, 6:10 pm, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

gift certificate time
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

How hilly and how much is required to be mowed? Can have 4A and still only mow a small area around the house.
Any land other than lawn? Horses, large garden area to cultivate, etc., etc., ...
Far too little to go on. If actually serious on the blade/plow thing other than a scraper blade on a three point, 4W assist will be invaluable (as it is for any heavy work).