Lawnmower Starting Question ?

Hello:
Have a new Toro self-propelled mower.
Manual isn't too clear on this:
I understand that if the engine is being re-started after a short time, and while still quite hot, there is no need to pump the small plastic primer bulb again.
But, if starting for the first time and engine is totally Cold, and there is still gas visible in the priming bulb from the last time you used it a week ago perhaps, do you "still" want to push it the recommended 5 times ?
Thanks, Bob

Yes..
Hi,
Just trying to learn a bit more, please:
Why ?

Cold engines need a richer mixture to start.. That's what a choke was used for. Yours might start with less than 5 pumps, but you certainly need to prime a cold engine.
Thanks, Bob ------------

Does it start if you don't? Just experiment a bit. My toro starts better at a low throttle setting when cold - not full speed.
Bob