Self propelled lawnmower?

Hi Very probably a "thicko" question but I'll ask anyway, does self propelled mean you push it yourself or the machine provides drive? I ask because I'm thinking of buying a petrol mower which will hopefully cut wet grass with ease (or is this another stupid idea). I'm just outside Glasgow and the rain never stays off long enough to allow the grass to dry (clay soil which hols water), result is my half decent electric Qualcast (1.5Kw) struggles to cope. Any views welcomed. TIA Al

Reply to
al

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 20:17:20 -0000, al mused:

Yep.

Self propelled is, umm, as it says, self propelled, rather than being propelled by something\one else, e.g. you it propels itself.

Reply to
Lurch

Cheers, thanks for the umm.. diplomatic reply. Regards Al

Reply to
al

I used to live in Wales on clay and had a similar problem. Try a petrol Flymo. Being a hover, it works on wet soil rather than relying on traction to propel itself. It will even hover over small puddled areas. One point though, I had a steep slope as part of my lawn and mowed it once when the grass was long. I slipped on the cut grass and my foot went straight under the mower. Fortunately I'd spotted the risk and was wearing my safety boots. They saved my foot from severe damage. Without them, the consequencies don't bare thinking about.

John

Reply to
John

al brought next idea :

Self propelled, means it is driven forward by the engine or motor.

Our is and has a four stroke engine from which a V belt drives the rear wheels, if you pull one lever and push a second one via a clutch. On wet grass it is just not able to drive at all the wheels just spin, but on dry it works fine.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Regards Al

Reply to