Latex Paint - is it toxic waste?

Can anyone tell me if latex paint is toxic, or can it just be thrown in the regular trash?

I have a few old cans I need to get rid of.

Reply to
noway

noway,

This isn't a question for this newsgroup, this is a question for your landfill. Call and ask.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Can you drink it ,no.

Reply to
m Ransley

The liquid paint is extremely toxic to fish and other aquatic creatures and should not be disposed of in liquid form.

You should check local regulations.

Here you dry the paint out by using kitty litter and a sunny day and discard the dry solid waste. I would think that would be adequate in 90% of the USA. I have found that a beer flat (the cardboard that holds two 12 packs) when inserted into a 30 gallon can liner holds just enough litter to dry a full gallon of paint on a normal summer day. And it is already bagged for disposal.when you turn it inside out. You drink the beer while you watch the paint dry:)).

Also once or twice a year most cities offer a free drop off day for paint and other household chemicals.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Open the cans, mix paint with kitty litter and let dry. No longer toxic.

Reply to
SLQ

Our city has a website for solid waste disposal info. They say to pour latex paint into trash bag with some crumpled newspaper, let it dry and put in the trash (ours is all incinerated).

Your town may have a drop off for used chemicals, but the dry-and-dispose method seems reasonable.

Reply to
NorMinn

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Fortunately some of us have more experience.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Thanks. Thats what I wanted to know.

Reply to
noway

My garbage company wants the paint thuroghly solidified. THe kitty litter trick is new to me. I usually just open the can and let it sit in the garage for year. You can also go to the paint store and buy a little packet of something that instantly hardens the paint (compared to letting it sit). My garage walls also have about 10 coats of paint on them.

Reply to
JMagerl

why not just leave the lid off for a while?

Reply to
bill allemann

Our county, has you drop of the paint at the recycle center, combines the leftovers into a couple of neutral shades and then offers the reconstituted stuff to residents at no cost.

Good for painting things where you don't need a color match: outbuildings, treehouses etc.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

If the paint is still usable (has not froze or hardened), donate it to one of the charities like St. Vincent De Paul, Goodwill, etc. Someone can still use it for a small room or shed. There might even be some kid in your neighborhood who is building a tree house and would love a coat of paint. Always try to recycle stuff, and what is garbage to you is a treasure to someone else. (assuming it's still useable).

Reply to
spamfree

The hazardous waist collection depots in this area used to advise people to just leave the cans open until the paint completely hardened and then they could be disposed of without toxic consequences in landfills or incinerating plants. Not so however with oil based paints which had to be brought to their depots.

Reply to
Martin

It's only "toxic" to Tree Huggers who feel the need to run your life. If the can is closed when you throw it out, there is no potential harm to domestic pets (why ae they roaming your streets in the first place?) or "neighborhood children" (why are they picking through your trash??) and the first potential "harm" is when the can rusts open years from now in your trash dump. So, you poison a couple of garbage rats. Big deal!

The other objection to this often comes from your municipality. Most make a blanket list of what you can't throw in the weekly trash, outlawing "building materials". They do this to keep folks who would abuse it from loading the trash with lumber, glass, pipe, etc. every week. Unfortunately, they often will consider your paint cans as part of that mix. Sooo...do them one at a time, stick it right in the middle of your regular trash so it doesn't stick out, and you should be fine.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Were you thinking of dumping it into a lake?

Have a nice week...

Trent©

What do you call a smart blonde? A golden retriever.

Reply to
Trent©

Reply to
nospambob

So...when it's allowed to dry out (the water is what evaporates)...then it becomes non-toxic?

Have a nice week...

Trent©

What do you call a smart blonde? A golden retriever.

Reply to
Trent©

Reply to
nospambob

I wouldn't interpret that as a testimonial as to toxicity.

I would think that dried up latex paint is just as toxic...or not toxic...as liquid paint. Just re-add water.