Latex Paint - is it toxic waste?

When dry it is suitable rubbish for legal disposal in any certified landfill operating under current EPA regulations. As a liquid is not. I don't know why. I did not make the rules. I just try to live by them when I know what they are.

But as an example. If you pour your beer on a paper towel and allow it to dry you won't get a buzz when you eat the towel.

Have a good day.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Once a latex has coagulated completely, i.e., solidified, adding water won't liquify it.

Reply to
Martin

I dont think it dries out through evaporation. I think there may be a chemical reaction involved, in which case it very well could be less toxic after 'drying'. If it was just evaporated out wouldnt it come off when you tried to wash the wall?

Reply to
Adam Russell

You know this for a FACT?!

What about cookies? lol

Have a nice week...

Trent©

What do you call a smart blonde? A golden retriever.

Reply to
Trent©

Try it...then get back to us.

My experience has been quite the contrary. The toxicity doesn't go away...it just changes form.

Another good example...although not water based...is lead paint. Lead paint that has been applied and allowed to dry is still toxic.

The OP's question was in regard to toxicity...not form.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

What do you call a smart blonde? A golden retriever.

Reply to
Trent©

I'm sure there's other oxidation processes involved. But, nonetheless, its the water that evaporates if you leave latex paint uncovered and accessible to the air.

In my area, paints need to be dried out before putting out into the garbage, too. But ONLY because of the transport process. Cans with a liquid inside tend to burst...especially when those trucks compress the garbage as they go along their run.

And, for the most part, the trucks are not sealed tightly...especially the older, rusted ones. So a liquid has a much higher chance of leaking out than does a solid.

But paint is either tooxic...or non-toxic. It doesn't change its spots just because the water is taken out.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

What do you call a smart blonde? A golden retriever.

Reply to
Trent©

There is more than water that evaporates from curing latex paint. The actual solvent for the paint is ethelyne glycol, propylene glycol, or some similar hydrocarbon that itself is soluble in water. The paint solids are dispersed in water along with this solvent. As the water evaporates, the concentration of the actual solvent increases to the point where it starts the curing process. As more time passes the solvent itself also evaporates, leaving the "cured" film behind. This is an oversimplified explanation but hopefully explains why liquid latex paint can be more toxic than cured latex paint.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

I don't have to try it. From years in the lab and plants manufacturing latex for paint I know what happens to latex when it coagulates. It forms a solid mass from which water can extract practically nothing, no less liquify it. Where are you getting your information from?

Reply to
Martin

Reply to
nospambob