lacquer sprayed on new Windows in New Home (removal help)

I sure hope you are right. We have just been applying some Blok Guard/ Graffiti sealer on some split face block at work. One guy wore sun glasses another had on regular glasses. We tried every solvent known to man and 3M scrub pads of different aggressiveness to clean their glasses. Nothing would remove it. Broke the glass in the regular vision glasses trying, tossed the sun glasses. The product is made by Prosoco and the MSDS says it is paint thinner and 1,2,4-Trimethyl Benzene, neither of which is particularly harmful to humans; but, boy howdy, does it ever stick to stuff.

DanG

We just moved into a new home. Our exterior windows have a misting of what would appear to be lacquer sprayed on the outsides of them. Most likely when the painters were staining and finishing the woodwork with the windows open in the house.

What would be the best method for removing this residue?

Thanks.

Reply to
newhome

There are two ways. You can use something like a razor blade to scrap it off, or a solvent to clean it off. You need to know what it is to know what solvent might work. Lacquer thinner works with lacquer.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Scrap with a singe edge razor or wipe with lacquer thinner or acetone. My guess it that it is not lacquer but polyurethane.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Please take precautions if you are using something as flammable(explosive!!!) as lacquer thinner or acetone. I've responded to two explosions that blew the wall out of an apartment and out of a house where a crew washed a wall with a rag soaked with acetone. The gas water heater ignited the house and the gas stove pilot ignited the apartment. The vapor is really dangerous, two died from the percussion in the apartment. The folks in the house had no hair left but did recover.

Very small quantity at a time with lots of air flow and no open flames!

-larry / dallas

Reply to
larry

Usually a razor blade type scraper will do it the easiest.

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Reply to
Joseph Meehan