Kitchen sprayer head

I'm fed up with the cheap plastic units sold by the borgs/Ace hardware, etc. They either crack at the lever pivot point or won't shut off properly when the lever is released. Anyone know of a good metal unit? I've Googled for them, but no joy. TIA

Reply to
PanHandler

I have never had one crack on me unless I abuse it like dropping something on it. Just be a bit more gentle with them.

Reply to
Rich Greenberg

I've never dropped them or used them harshly in any way. They just don't seem to last more than a few months. The plastic pins on which the lever pivots are only about 1/16" diameter by 1/16" long. With every one I've ever had fail, either at the pins or elsewhere, were all built the same way.

Reply to
PanHandler

I think I've had maybe one fail like you described in 30 years of doing repairs for relatives. Most of the ones I have replaced were limed up, or the hose failed and it was 2 bucks more to replace the whole thing instead of just the hose. From here, looks like you ARE harder on them than a typical household user.

Fill the hole with a plug or a soap dispenser, and get yourself an arm-mounted hanging commercial/restaurant spray head, with the big spring and the metal lever. The borg won't have it- you'll need to go to a real plumbing supply. You'll have to get inventive on how to mount it pretty and get the water up to it.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

Ease your squeeze and they won't break at the pivot.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Well the concensus seems to indicate it's MY fault, and I guess it's possible. BUT - has anyone ever seen the pivot pins in these thngs? They're rediculously small plastic things - smaller than 1/16 x 1/16

Reply to
PanHandler

Since most of us have never broken one, draw your own conclusions.

Reply to
Rich Greenberg

Any chance you could replace it/them with a some brass rod?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

'Most' of us is exactly three people. Kind of a small sample, don't you think?
Reply to
PanHandler

I'm looking into that now. I don't have any brass that small, but I know where to get some small stainless pieces. I'm getting ready to photograph the guilty areas and post them on my website. Stay tuned :-)

Reply to
PanHandler

Go here:

and see pics # 11 & # 12

Reply to
PanHandler

Persistance will pay off!

I've only used black colored spray nozzles, have you looked to see if the black ones have a different design? Maybe you could live with another color.

I noticed you're in the Eglin AFB Modeler's Club.

I spent a fair amount of time in the 60s as a civvy boy engineer/wannabe scientist firing upper atmosphere measuring instrument on small rockets from the old Bomac (sp?) anti aircraft missile test range there. We used to stay at a motel In Ft. Walton Beach named the Blue Horizon, which we always called the "Blue Whore". Izzit still there?

I got a real kick seeing a rusty German V-1 Buzz Bomb lying in the sand on that firing range. Never thought I'd have an opportunity to see one of those in the flesh.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I'm not a member of the club, and was in the area on business. I happened to see them from the road and took a few pics which I posted for them to download. I don't remember ever seeing that motel, and the area has really developed into a busy, congested region of the panhandle. I've seen and installed the black sprayers for others, and except for the color they appear identical. Since the 'shell' on mine is cracked I'll just get another one - probably black. On an OT note, I include this:

"I spoke to a friend who is the CEO of a bicycle manufacturer about his dealings with Wal-Mart. He said he's happy to sell to them, but only on condition that his company's name does not appear on the product, because of what he's forced to do in order to meet their pricing policies. Example: fewer spokes in the wheels, vinyl instead of leather saddles, plastic where metal should be used, unsmoothed welds, no primer, less paint, etc. You only get what you pay for. A great majority of Wal-Mart merchandise is built to a price point, rather than a quality/feature level."

As a matter of convenience, I've been buying the sprayers from Wal-Mart.

Reply to
PanHandler

Then try the Borg or even better a real plumbing supply place.

Reply to
Rich Greenberg

I've looked at the ones at the Borgs (thru the blister pak) and they appear to be the same as Wal-Mart's, tho I don't remember brand names. When I asked about heavy duty or metal ones, their eyes crossed and they made funny noises.

Reply to
PanHandler

Have you considered trying one of the pull-out faucets with a hose and sprayer. The one I have uses a little push-button. It is a Moen and I think it has a lifetime warranty and it has worked well so far.

Reply to
philkryder