Kitchen Remodel Update & Photos

I uploaded a bunch of photos taken as going along in the kitchen remodel project. So far we have repaired the floor, framed a larger window, installed receptacle/switch boxes.
http://www.geocities.com/sammybinsnoozin/kitchen2.html
I would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions that you have from looking at the photos!
Thanks in advance.
I just checked it and couldn't connect... "Sorry, this GeoCities site is currently unavailable." If you get this, pls check back later.
I uploaded a bunch of photos taken as going along in the kitchen remodel project. So far we have repaired the floor, framed a larger window, installed receptacle/switch boxes.
http://www.geocities.com/sammybinsnoozin/kitchen2.html
I would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions that you have from looking at the photos!
Thanks in advance.

http://www.geocities.com/sammybinsnoozin/kitchen2.html
Not knowing the scope of your project and just going by the pics, I can see a few things that I would have done different. I would have ripped out all of the drywall from the start. It makes life a lot easier when running wire, pipe, etc. Drywall is cheap and you would probably save time and money by replacing it.
--
hawgeye

wrote

- site unavilable, but definetely open all the walls and insulate - exterior ones
Thanks, good advice. By the way, I see that geocities has clamped down on its user-friendliness. "The GeoCities web site you were trying to view has temporarily exceeded its data transfer limit. Please try again later."
Anyone know another free site where I can move the photos?
Sam
wrote

see
- site unavilable, but definetely open all the walls and insulate - exterior ones
Thanks, good advice. By the way, I see that geocities has clamped down on its user-friendliness. "The GeoCities web site you were trying to view has temporarily exceeded its data transfer limit. Please try again later."
Anyone know another free site where I can move the photos?
Try 50megs.com. I don't know about their transfer rate limitations though.
"Sammy bin Snoozin" wrote

http://photobucket.com /

Thanks, Chase. I just uploaded them here...
Here's the direct link... http://tinyurl.com/29nrlr
The first photo is the earliest. The rest are in reverse chronological order, so the first ones are at the bottom.
Sam

Thanks, Chase. I just uploaded them here...
Here's the direct link... http://tinyurl.com/29nrlr
The first photo is the earliest. The rest are in reverse chronological order, so the first ones are at the bottom.
I ususally use the adjustable depth electrical boxes in the kitchen to have the ability to accommadate the final backsplash thickness. Personally I would have remove all of the old wiring and installed all new. I hope that the old wiring that you have apparently spliced to the new wiring is #12.

Thanks for the tips, John. I'll check out the adjustable boxes before finishing. Checking the wiring I could see, it looks pretty good and it is 12 awg.
Sam

have
that
Perhaps someone else will correct me, but i'm not comfortable with the one picture of the exposed studs underneath where the window is going (near the vent stack piping ?).
It looks as if the studs to the right (where the vent stack piping is running thru them), are now structurally useless. They've been notched/cut and looks as if a piece of sheet metal is wrapped around the stud to give an illusion that everything is fine.
I'm wondering if the loads on that header will be an issue with those studs cut & notched the way they are. Being it's an outside wall, it most certainly would be load bearing.
I wouldn't have allowed any plumber to do that if it were my home. no way.

Many thanks for the tip, Fred. This was the way the house was built in 1961 and no evidence of lack of support. It's not sheet metal - it's actually a brace specifically used to provide support (at least that's what I was told by the window dude).
However.... I do plan to have an indept contruction feller come by to give me his opinion of the window framing, so I'll post what he says about it.
Thank again, Fred. This is exactly the kind of thing I have no experience in and appreciate the heads up.
Sam