Kitchen musings..... shelving vs. cabinets, notions of design....

Page 6 of 9

I plugged it in to edit this reply. After a week my thumb dexterity is improving. I've been using the end of my thumb for coarse motion and the joint or middle pad to put the cursor between letters.
I just noticed that I can position the cursor more precisely with my clumsier left hand on this Dell Latitude's touchpad than with my right hand on either the trackball or the mouse. The touchpad resolves 9 separate cursor positions across a lower case 'w'. I'm still much quicker with the mouse though. jsw
Jim Wilkins wrote:

It may be the nerve damage in my hands, but I have given up on trackballs. A lot of mice don't work well for me, either. Touchpads drive me up the wall.:(
On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 23:48:08 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

I can't use them either. They'll kill my wrist. The fingers are in such an unnatural position (wrists bent backwards).
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Try using one while wearing a cockup splint.
On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 14:47:18 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Precisely the point. It's an unnatural position.

Put your hands on a Logitech M570. it rests under my hand as my hand naturally would rest on the desk surface. Fingers only do the clicking as they would with a regular mouse. Your thumb moves the ball, which it rests on.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8508857898/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8508858624/in/photostream/

Mine are Trackman Marble Wheels
Gunner

I've tried every one. The tip of the thumb has to be above the palm to use one. That's an unnatural position for the wrist. The fingers are elevated too far, also.

Michael, I did notice the deterioration right from the start. So what's your point? Obviously, being such a cheap plastic membrane, the deterioration just kept on. I suppose I could have 'sprayed' a sealer coating over the membrane switch or RTV'd it or put that PCB gunk on it to preserve the integrity of whatever seal the manufacturer was seeking, but come on, this was a cheap microwave.
Robert Macy wrote:

Why didn't you take it back for a refund?

I have a 20+ year old JC Penny microwave oven with a membrane keyboard that don't show any wear. It would have been junked long ago, if the keypad was damaged. It's in storage at the moment because it's too tall to sit on the kitchen counter. It will be put back in the kitchen after the handicap modifications are finished. IN the meantime I've had two smaller microwaves fail. A Samsung had the controller fail, and a brand new Westinghouse failed with less than five minutes use and the power cord was so hot I couldn't touch it. A real POS. Right now I am using a stainless steel piece of junk that was dropped when it was new. I straightened the door so the latch would operate, but it's nothing to brag about. I will say that I have only bought one microwave in the last 30 years, and I paid $2 for it at a thrift store with a bad interlock switch that was repaired with a used microswitch. The rest were all picked up as junk & repaired.
On Feb 23, 3:37 pm, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Uh, say what?! How'd you get into a personal attack? Why do you consider me "...pretty dull,...."? Boring, probably, Dense, no.
Especially, not so 'dull' as to expect the $46 microwave oven to last very long. I simply was sharing my experience, reinforcing someone's tongue in cheek comment about how it is not necessary to clean the microwave surfaces because the microwave will fail first! The poster's joke was like all good humour, based in truth.
Don't know why YOU assume a leftie, member of the Republican National Committee, personally invited by Bob Dole to join the Republican Inner Circle. More details witheld because this IS a public forum regarding home repair and most importantly, this is NOT a political forum.
On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 07:21:44 -0800 (PST), Robert Macy

Dumb.

Anyone bitching about the quality of a $46 WallyWorld microwave doesn't have electricity to all floors.

...and a liar. Perhaps to himself, but a liar, nonetheless.
On Feb 24, 8:27 am, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Again for the denseness you have been displaying. Not dumb, either.
As I said, I didn't expect much from the product, but was surprised the Chinese didn't have decent plastics. Active circuitry I expected to fail, not passive housing.
With your last statement, you show your true character. You are describing yourself when you try to call me a liar. Upon rereading my last paragraph, perhaps I am lying to myself that this is not a political forum. Other statements are true.
Also, end of this discussion.
On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:25:42 -0800 (PST), Robert Macy

You must be looking in a mirror again.

For $46? Retail? You are nuts!

You certainly are.

For $46, I expected the magnetron to fail
Come on. No sharp finger nails, just finger pads.
On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 06:52:28 -0800 (PST), Robert Macy

My wife found some wipes that work really well on stainless. They're expensive but I was amazed how well they polished the sink (I lived in the house six months before she moved - she gets the honors now ;-).

I don't have a problem with Windex but it does have to be taken off before it dries. A last swipe with a little Windex on a paper towel takes the last bit of streaks off. Watch the paper towels, though. Some of the pretty printing dissolves in Windex and makes a mess of paint. DAMHIKT.

Interesting. I'll have to try it. It does make sense.

Like I said, our appliances don't show finger prints at all. There seems to be an oleophobic coating on them (the non-contractor grade ones).
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Have you tried cleaning them properly and applying a good coat of automotive paste wax on (the non-contractor grade ones)? I use the old standard, 'Turtle Wax, hard shell pates wax' to keep things clean. I started doing that when I was selling used computers about 20 years ago. People would leave dirty spots on the ones on display, but it just took a quick wipe with a damp rag to clean most them if they were waxed.
Robert Macy wrote:

There are oodles of home-made glass cleaning formulas on the web. It's cheap enough to try them one after another 'til you find the concoction that meets your needs.
Existential Angst wrote:

Logically, open for stuff that is used with great frequency, cabinets - or a pantry - for the rest.

Undeniably, glass can be attractive. Also indeniably, it seems to be a magnet for grease, streaks, dust and assorted crud.
My own feeling re a kitchen - or any workspace - are that it should minimize the effort to use it. That means thought about where things are placed and the amount of space between them. It also means easy accessibility to the tools.
How many people will be working in it at the same time? If just one, you need about 36" minimum for aisles; 42" is better, more than 48" and you are wasting space. If more than one, I would think 60" or a bit more would be about right.
The things that are used in a particular area need to be convenient to that area; eg, pots/pans/skillets should be accesible to the stove area, not require traipsing across the kitchen to get one. Dish cabinets should be very near the sink or diswasher. I know that seems fundamental but I've seen many instances of it not being considered.
Again personally, I don't like frame and panel cabinet doors in a kitchen for the same reason I wouldn't like glass...the edges attract crud and are hard to clean. When I built ours I made full overlay, solid wood doors. The edges are rounded but no other profiles to catch dust.
Getting back to open shelves vs cabinets, I think a lot would depend upon the people involved; if they are willing to dust/clean very frequently, open shelves could be nice; if not - we are not - I would eschew them in favor of cabinets.
I'm pretty much with you on the granite but not with glass on top of something else. My only experience with same was a glass covered dining table in a rented apartment when we were living in Mexico. It was a pain...any spilled liguid wicked underneath; assorted crumbs and crud managed to find a way under.
BTW & FWIW, your posts would be more readable without the folksy spellings.
--

dadiOH

No kidding. I couldn't get through all the cute spellings, the almost urban street slang, and ghetto speak to finish the post. Not sure what this guy wants, but it isn't interesting enough to read through all that crap.
I got this far because I saw that you and Karl responded....
Robert