Kitchen musings..... shelving vs. cabinets, notions of design....

Exactly. Then you simply ask, "Who was it who wanted to design a kitchen around a cannister set?" BTW, I gave my wife an expensive cannister set as a gift. Ceramic. She oohed and aahed, displayed them empty on the counter for maybe 2 months, then stored them in the basement. She's a professional chef. BTW, about 12 years later we started to give them to a daughter but found the "brass" hardware had corroded. Dumped them at Goodwill. The hardware will collect grease even if it doesn't corrode. As somebody else said, everything behind doors and flat surfaces makes for much easy kitchen cleaning.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Same thing goes for the shop. I used to have tools and such hanging on pegboard. Now, I hung the cheapest HD cabinets over a 16' workbench/RAS saw and have much more storage with much less dust.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

You have a shop. Build your cupboards. Look around. There will be someone in the area making custom doors. The boxes are easy.

Reply to
Pat

Temper, temper. Maybe a nap would help

Reply to
dadiOH

How arrogant.

About the only person here who needs a treatise on the elements of style is you. Oh, wait...are your cutesy spellings an attempt at a distinctive writing style? An attempt to separate yourself from the herd? To lift yourself from the depths of mediocrity? Doesn't work.

Reply to
dadiOH

After fighting with various commercially available compounds, my wife discovered that the best cleaner for stainless steel of almost all types was ...Dial sanitizing liquid hand soap. Rubbed on and wiped dry actually polished to a sparkling beautiful finish. But alas someone changed the product and it doesn't work well now.

She gave up cleaning any glass surface. Windex streaked and streaked and streaked. However, I found Walmart brand of glass cleaner provides a great sprayer at $1.88 and the product cleans well and doesn't streak. Unless dries before removal. And of course, use cheap paper towels, else there are usually some type of lotion or such in them that streaks too. To check if a paper towel has 'additives' in it? Simply pour bleach on it. If it gets warm, or hot enough to burn you, it has additives that will streak when you clean.

After fighting SS cleaners, my wife has delegated me to be the custodian of all the glass and stainless steel cleaning in our home. I finally found the BEST cleaner ever! Clean well then ONLY clean with distilled water and cheap paper towels. Squeegee the bathroom mirrors in 20 seconds DONE! Inside/outside windows? Take about a minute each. I tell you distilled water is a MIRACLE product. Alas, it 'almost' works on SS kitchen apliances. Front surfaces stay cleaned for about a month. But, the fridge doors are a constant battle. We don't touch the SS with hands to prevent human oil blotting their surfaces, but even that doesn't work well. Have to clean that !@#@$#%^@$ !!!! fridge almost everyday. Shouldn't say clean, mean polish.

The manufacturers have solved the countertop problem with granite - robust and hides crumbs. But, they really need to work on finding a surface for appliances. Probably find some aerospace material works, like carbon composite with laminated granite?

Reply to
Robert Macy

Hmmmm...... might I be even more arrogant and correck your syntax? Elements of Style WAS the treatise -- albeit a short, succinct one.

What you SHOULD have said -- and I'm sure you meant to -- was: "About the only person here who needs a treatise on style......."

Dood...... it's fukn USENET..... give it a break, already. Dayum.... and I thought you were one of the normal ones.....

And where's the gratitude?? Moi had to PAY for that goddamm StrunknWhite.... and ahm giving it away for free....

Ackshooly, I never really agreed with ole Strunk.... yeah, shit has to be standardized, but goddamm, there's standardization and there's stifling. Fuck granite, and f*ck stifling.

ANOTHER POP QUIZ, boyzngerlz.....

WHO was the White in Strunk'n'White??

No matter, y'all are going to cheat anyway, and look it up..... He was EB White, who wrote Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, and a bunch of other children's classics, and a longtime contributor/editor in The N'Yawker.

Proly one of THE most :"decorated" writers. No Nobel Prize, but dat dudn't mean shit anyway.... they wasted one on Hemmingway..... and even worser, one on Herman Hesse.... GOODGAWD!!!!!!!!!!

But y'all litirits KNEW that, right?? Yeah, riiiiight.....

Here's what ahm thinkin:

All those who had so much trouble deciphering the op, get copies of Stuart Little and Charlotte's Web, and work on yer comprehension...... EB White knew what he was doing, and y'all's reading comprehension should jump by at least two grades when you finish them. Proly you can find Cliff's Notes on them, as well, iffin you need help.

And WHERE did the adventures of Stuart Little take place?? Why, in the Central Park Pond, in.... N'Yawk....

OH, OH, OH, OH, OH..... He did it AGAIN!!!! He said "N'Yawk" instead of New York........ TWICE!!! OH, OH, OH, OH OH, OH, OH, OH OH, OH, OH, OH OH, OH, OH, OH

Reply to
Existential Angst

Your affected style might be cute if you had any real talent.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Holy shit..... ANOTHER one who I thought was normal, could read between the lines..... Ahma haveta make a LIST now.....

I didn't know reading comprehension was such an issue. Really, I promise, I'll keep it simple from now on, right outta Strunk'n'White.....

Reply to
Existential Angst

clipped

The Chinese have solved the problem for appliances...plastic, engineered to not last long enough to get dirty. Last time I went shopping, I tried to find something NOT made in China...all I could come up with was a picture frame made in Mexico.

Reply to
Norminn

What about Fucken Wagnalls? I think we'd better quit before the the entire usenit goes postle!!

Reply to
Norminn

The teacher of my very bright and ambitious high school English class cautioned us not to write like e.e.cummings unless we WERE e.e.cummings. She reminded us that Picasso had mastered the classical painting style before developing his own.

The only exception she tolerated:

Jim Wilkins

LOL I've lerntid my lesson..... I"ve got Strunk'n'White out, as I type....... LOL FunkyWagnall was far too long, tho. At least S&W kept alladatshit brief.

There is a breed -- many of them on RW, apparently -- that deludes themselves with the notion that because they express themselves with syntactical and grammatical correckness, that they know how to think. There is, in fact, a likely inverse relationship between the two.

Reply to
Existential Angst

No kidding. I couldn't get through all the cute spellings, the almost urban street slang, and ghetto speak to finish the post. Not sure what this guy wants, but it isn't interesting enough to read through all that crap.

I got this far because I saw that you and Karl responded....

Robert

BRAIN EXERCISES

If you can read this OUT LOUD, you have a strong mind. And better than that: Alzheimer's is a long, long, way down the road before it ever gets anywhere near you.

If you can read the following paragraph, forward it to your friends and the person who sent it to you with 'Yes' in the subject line. Only very good minds can read this. This is weird, but interesting!

7H15 M3554G3 53RV35 7O PR0V3 H0W 0UR M1ND5 C4N D0 4M4Z1NG 7H1NG5! 1MPR3551V3 7H1NG5! 1N 7H3 B3G1NN1NG 17 WA5 H4RD BU7 N0W, 0N 7H15 LIN3 Y0UR M1ND 1S R34D1NG 17 4U70M471C4LLY W17H 0U7 3V3N 7H1NK1NG 4B0U7 17, B3 PROUD! 0NLY C3R741N P30PL3 C4N R3AD 7H15. PL3453 F0RW4RD 1F U C4N R34D 7H15.

If you can read this, you are one of the 55 people out of 100 who can.

I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in what oerdr the ltteres in a word are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is that the frsit and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it whotuit a pboerlm. This is bcuseaethe huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! If you can raed this forwrad it

Since fuknNailShooter cain't read *my* simple shit, Alzheimers is proly right around the corner for dat asshole.

Reply to
Existential Angst

YOU

CAN

READ

THIS

,

BUT

DO

YOU

WANT

?
Reply to
Jim Wilkins

It isn't all that hard to read but why bother? What's the point when one can write it properly? And that is the whole point of those who disliked your original post...you wanted feedback from readers so why not just post your question/problem succinctly using reasonable English?

IOW, it isn't a problem of being unable to read your "simple shit", it's just a matter of "why bother".

Reply to
dadiOH

I would have used J.M.W.Turner for the example if he were better known.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Supurb landscapes! I saw an exhibition of his work at the National Gallery of Art in D.C. a couple of years ago. The actual paintings will knock you out.

I used Rob's work because some of it relates to Picasso's early paintings more closely.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

It was quite reasonable. What in particular is your grouse?

Heh, yer gonna miss my unreasonable Englich, when they have you speaking Reasonable Spanich.... Been in HD lately?? goodgawd....

Which is usually the bleat of the simple mind, esp. overly-entitled *gangs* of simple minds.

Exactly what was so troublesome about the op? What part of "gratuitous complexity" don't y'all understand?

Reply to
Existential Angst

You're either lying, illiterate, or lazy (didn't look for more than 10 minutes). I'm betting on all three.

Reply to
krw