Kitchen hood

I want to buy kitchen hood and build wood cover myself. Where can I buy just kitchen hood internals without a cover? I want good quality quite hood. What options should I look for? What manufactures/models should I consider?

Reply to
Sasha

A realy quiet fan is exterior mounted Broan. Wood, is flamable alot of heat produced when cooking, It would not pass code.

Reply to
m Ransley

i did this. i went to a custom place that does commercial kitchens and had them build one to my specs (lights, filter, hood size, fan controls, etc), then installed it in a hood i made out of regular 2x4 and drywall construction.

you can see it to the left in this picture:

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

We bought a Nu-Tone roof mount vent fan with a variable speed control and had our cabinet maker make a custom wood hood for it. The variable speed means we can set the fan as high or low as we like, and the roof mount motor means that is really quiet compared to a standard vent. One warning, though, on low speeds, it is quiet enough that we can forget that it is on until the room is quiet and we hear a faint hum in the kitchen. On high speed it has a pretty high flowrate and does an excellent job of venting. The cabinet maker built a hood with a black formica interior surface over the stove, into which we placed two downlights and the lower part of the vent duct (the grease filter). The formica hood interior is easy to clean. We are very pleased with the entire setup. The Nu-Tone equipment came from one of our local electrical retailers. This is kind of higher end stuff, I don't think you will find this at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Reply to
Wayne

Could you tell me what model you have?

Reply to
Alexander Galkin

: : .

And one I built at

Scroll down, may be slow loading..

Includes some pictures of construction...

The "guts" -

Plan is to wrap the bottom strip in tile from backsplash. Am seeking input for finishing the underneath. I'm leaning towards a stainless steel 'skin'... Suggestions welcomed!

Nice Kitchen Charles!

Rick

Reply to
pray4surf

I didn't post the model number earlier because I couldn't find the paperwork, but after the third time through the files, I finally found it. The model number on the NuTone roof fan is RF-1N. My cost 5 years ago was $370. We had to buy the variable speed control Switch separately (sorry, I don't have a model number) for $29. This did not include any ducts or labor, but in my opinion, the price is worth it.

Reply to
Wayne

wish i had known about that site before. i would have used them. good stuff there.

i've been watching your changing page. you're doing a great job. i like the reuse of the flagstone, although you'll have to really seal it because it's probably pretty porous. it'd be hard to clean oil spatters off of it.

if you need any custom glass tiles let me know. i make them for kitchen backsplashes.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Charles Spitzer