[SOLVED] Kitchen faucet chatter

A year or so ago a new water meter was installed and when I turned the kitchen faucet on it sounded like it was ripping apart. I call it chattering or chugging. It was a heavy vibrating that seemed to be in the faucet. I listened under the sink while someone turned the water on and it didn't seem to be in the pipes below the faucet.

I called the water company that installed the new meter and they thought is was air in the system and told me to open the faucet and let thr water run awhile. That didn't help.

This continued for several months then finally stopped.

A couple months ago my water line that runs from outside to the meter in the cellar busted and I had to have my yard dug up to have it replaced. Again, when the kitchen faucet is turned on it chatters. I have to turn it on a little and let in run about 5 seconds, then turn it a bit more, etc. until it is on fully.

I tried turning it all the way on with one turn and it sounded like it was going to pop apart. The contractor who installed the new line suggested air in the line. I called a plummer and he said it may be the diverter.

I did find if I remove the aerator from the faucet, it doesn't chatter, but as soon as I put it back on, the noise starts again.

Any suggestions what may be causing this? I get used to turning the water on slowly, but it has surprised a couple friends.

Reply to
JWR308

I bought one of the first blue Jet left tilt cab saws (JTAS-10XL). I think it was in 1997 or so. For quite awhile, there were no changes at all between it and the later cream colored versions of the saw, except that mine had nicer chrome handwheels than the newer ones. Lately, they've made some changes to the fence (and of course they're selling those combined router/saw packages now). I think they finally went back to those nice chrome handwheels. It's been a great saw - very smooth running, with nearly zero effort height adjustments (I can still give the handle a spin and have it make many revs by itself). I've looked at the saw many times over the years with indicators, and it just stays dead on. I did finally adjust the top a few years ago to correct a deviation from parallel of the miter slots versus the blade of about .003 or so over the length of the miter slot. This didn't really make much of a difference but I was installing a new longer fence rail so I thought it would be a good time to deal with it. The original extension table was garbage, but everything else about the saw has been great.

Tim Carver snipped-for-privacy@twocarvers.com

Reply to
Tim Carver

Is this a faucet with washers on the stems ? If so , try tightening the screw that holds the rubber washer to the stem .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

What type of faucet?

Does it make a difference whether you're turning on the cold or the hot?

Reply to
croy

I never did understand the purpose of the aerator. I get all the air I need by breathing. We didn't have aerators when I was little, and no one collapsed.

I still don't have them in the bathroom sinks or the garden hose, and I driink out of all those.

Maybe just leave it off. Or take all the guts out and put just the outside part back on.

Reply to
micky

Does the same with hot or cold. Just a regular faucet with hot knob on the left, cold on the right, spout in between.. The sprayer hasn't worked in years.

Reply to
JWR308

I'll do that, but I know I went without an aerator for years, and my life was still good. If there was splashing it didn't bother me.

(I had a kitchen faucet to garden hose adapter on it for years. Then both in Brooklyn and Baltimroe, I had some aquarium tubing going through the wall and around the baseboard to my plants. At the sink end of the tubing was a strange brass thing (I've never seen a second one) that the hose slid into almost 2 inches, which has female garden faucet thrreads on it, so used it to water my plants.

I only stopped when my plants died But before that I had left the house for 4 hours with the water on, and flooded the carpet. It was running slow or it would have been worse.) In Brooklyn because I was renting I was more careful, and never left the hose running except to walk from the hose to the sink to turn it off. I also had one of those chem lap hose claimps to crush the hose until I got to the plants.

Reply to
micky

It sounds like the faucet may be fairly old. Have you tried tightening the the stem-seal nuts? Actually, you might want to put in new stem seals. Something to check, anyway.

Reply to
croy

Was told by a plumber that a bad diverter inside the faucet could cause noise like hammering, chattering etc.

Reply to
lisa

replying to JWR308, Ken wrote: The guy asking about the 135 degree angle, divide 135 by 2 = 67.5 now subtract that from 90 degrees and your angle cut on the miter is 22 1/2 on each piece.

Reply to
Ken

replying to lisa, an angel wrote: lisa, I have same problem, new faucet, thought upgrading, plumber a jerk though given two large bonuses then would not try --but Delta insist metal debris needs flushing a gushing out if you will even though water is at top of faucet when apart; needs covered with bucket and surrounded by towels, then water turned back on; there are directions for taking faucet apart on line. I just have not had time to do it myself--not sure if very large hex-nut workable with just my large wrench, or even pipe wrench--oh the joys of home-ownership by single elderly small-framed woman---but I am always victorious---you will be too. New diverter for free from your faucet mfg; they all do it.

Reply to
an angel

replying to JWR308, Iggy wrote: Yeah, you just need to partially close the Shut-off valves under the sink until the chattering stops, some setups even scream or shriek audibly. This is very common (though very few know about it, somehow) and just depends on the plumbing and faucet dynamics. You're not affecting operation or flow at all, you're just governing the top end. This is what the aerator does, but at the wrong end in your case.

Reply to
Iggy

replying to micky, skippy wrote: What the hell are you talking about? Was that supposed to contribute to this thread or answer the question? No one cares about your house plants or how you watered them 4 years ago.

Reply to
skippy