Kitchen cabinet height question

Consult the government building standards department for the country in which you live. In the USA it used to be called the Building and Housing Div. of the National Bureau of Standards (now renamed.)

Reply to
Don Phillipson

36" for counter 18" above that for upper cabinets (at least 20" above cooktop)
Reply to
RayV

Be careful with strange customization in the kitchen, if you have thoughts of selling the house in the future. Some buyers will walk right out, if they don't want to spend the money to put the situation back to normal.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

My wife is short. We recently remodeled a house, and had custom cabinets installed. No problem. We made them to fit her. Then we bought another house, and apparently, it was owned by Wilt the Stilt Chamberlain. The top of the outlet plates are at 54" and the bottom of the wall cabinets are at

60".

We will be remodeling this, also. And the heights of the outlets and cabinets will be set to her dimensions.

What is the standard height for outlets and the bottom of kitchen cabinets? Or do you do as we did and make it for the user? There must be standards as in tract houses.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Lowered cabinets are nice and comfy. My wife is 5 foot, I'm 6 foot, we lowered the cabinets to 16 inches above the finished 36 inch countertops and have no issues storing things under them, so go for it. Also consider maybe some 7 or 8 foot pantry cabinets, they reduce your room for countertops, but they are a pleasure for shorter people. I also put our "cup cabinet" directly on top of the countertop at the end of a run over a 6 inch high spice drawer. This way you can still keep items under 6 inches on the countertop and open the cup cabinet. The spice drawers under it we use for pens, this months bills, stamps, etc. Watch out near the stove though with lowered cabinets, but overall I would never want 18 inch raised cabinets again.

Reply to
RickH