Kilz Primer/Sealer: Water Or Oil Based To Use ?

Hello,

I have a water stain (brownish) on my bathroom ceiling. Problem has been corrected, and I don't expect a repeat.

Would like to put Kilz Primer/Sealer over the stain. Since I don't expect any further leakage, can I use a water based Kilz instead of their oil based product ?

Or, would the brownish stain would eventually bleed thru any water based Kilz, even though the stain is dry now ?

The reason I ask, is that the ceiling is presently painted with a latex paint, and if I have to put the Kilz over the whole ceiling to make things blend well for the future topcoat of a regular paint, I know an oil based product like Kilz oil would probably not go over the presently latex painted ceiling well.

Thanks, B.

Reply to
Robert11

I'd use Zinsser BIN - it's shellac. It's a great barrier material that almost nothing bleeds through that.

I use it on walls that have had wallpaper removed, just in case any of the glue survives the cleaning, and have yet to have a problem with moisture activating the glue and doing funny things to the paint I put on over the top.

-David

That's what primer does - cover stains. It is irrelevant what the base of the primer is.

Reply to
HeyBub

kilz oil based primer appears to work better

Reply to
hallerb

I've had nicotine bleed through several coats of the water-based Kilz, and this was on a wall that had been cleaned pretty thoroughly with TSP. I had high hopes for the water-based, but no luck. One coat of the oil-based did the trick. So the type of primer most definitely makes a difference.

That's nicotine, though. I don't know what caused your stain, but it sounds to me like it would make sense to give the water-based a try & see if it gets the job done. It's more expensive, though. Maybe you could find it in quart size. (Our local Sears had gallons only, if I recall).

Reply to
Robert Barr

the water based kilz is worthless. Use the original.

S. Barker