killing red wasps in texas how to?

We have tin roofs and wasps have Built nest in the eves of the house.

12 feet up. We use foam wasp spray, Works great coming out of nest. How Do we kill the nests?
Reply to
marion w

Whether they are paper or mud, you just have to knock the nests down after again and again. Mud dobbers are persistent and wil keep coming back. It's a continous effort Some say painting your soffits and eaves light blue repels them, but I don't beleive it

Reply to
ChairMan

I used to watch in horror at a farmer who took a coffee can [antique metal type] of gasoline [petrol] and simply threw it on the nest in one big swoosh! Horror was not the killing, rather the potential for one big explosion! Wasps instantly exited the nest and fell to the ground. THEN he knocked down the nests and burned it which was pretty easy now since soaked in accelerant(sp?).

Bet it works using diesel, which is not so explosive.

Reply to
RobertMacy

You have to saturate the nest with spray, it has a residual killing action for a couple weeks. Wait at least a few days so it can kill ones that were away as they return, then remove the nest. It's a never ending battle.

Reply to
Pete C.

FIRE! Caution do not light house on fire. Or use a hose or pressure washer to knock it down. If they rebuild knock it down quick before they get too far. They will fiquire out this s not a safe place and move elsewhere.

Buddy of mine says spray vinager there, it will keep them away.

YMMV.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

I'm uncertain if all wasps species are similar in territories, but as I understand it, wasps will not build a nest if they wee one already there. Therefore, they sell imitation wasps nest to hang in areas you don't want real nest to be built.

BTW, when killing wasps, do so late evening when they are least active. If you trying killing them while active, many are out and about doing their jobs. Wasps emit signals of danger to each other and if the they or the nest are being attacked, the others will return and sting you.

I had to climb on my parents roof to kill the nest and remove it. My step-father bought one of those fake nest and to this day (about 3 years now) there hasn't been any more nests.

Reply to
Meanie

I used to take a half a towel and soak it with alcohol. Then make a cotton string wick. Put it on the end of a heavy Calcutta cane pole. Just after dusk, when they are all in the nest, wet the towel in alcohol, getting the wick wet. Light the wick, and just as the flame reaches the towel, put it right under the nest. A lot will fall on you, so be ready to move out if you get a lot. Repeat a couple of times. Alcohol won't leave as bad of soot marks as diesel or other solvent. I have heard that soap spray works to kill bees, might work on wasps, too.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB