kids keep kicking their football in to my back garden several times a day. What are my rights?

If you can't beat them join them. If you can't fix a problem, feature it.

Reply to
krw

Bring the ball inside.

Use a WebCam or whatever camera to record the events.

Charge them for it. Start small and increase the amount until it reduces the number of mis-hits. If they have no money, they can ask their parents. If they get nasty, get nasty in return. I like the suggestion of taking the air out of the ball, too. That will at least make them think about what they're doing and require them to have a pump.

Reply to
John Doe

The guy is trying to protect his garden. People have a right to private property, at least here in the United States.

Nobody needs to hear this thing's life story...

Reply to
John Doe

Talk is cheap, asshole.

Whoever paid for the football can pay for the damage to the man's garden. Nothing wrong with charging a little bit to give them some sense of responsibility.

Reply to
John Doe

Hmmm, I sure don't want to have one like you as a neighbor. Once my window got broken by misthrown baseball from kidss playing caatch ball in the Cul de Sac. I just had it replaced and told the kid to be more careful and if it happens again he has to pay for the damage.

All kids are grown now and heading to college/university. We are always on friendly terms. If ball came into my yard I just told them to come andfind it themselves. How much damage can they cause walking on the lawn and beating bushes?

Once my dog ran away when he was puppy, I spread the word at the nearby school, one of them was who found him and brought home.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

put slimy egg white or dog doo-doo and throw it back

Reply to
a2rjh

kids keep kicking their football in to my back garden several times a day. What are my rights? If i dont answer the door they climb the fence. What can I do?

The PLUS on this is they came to the door first to ask. Good kids, make friends with them.

When I was in high school and walking home a kid through a rock at me. I retaliated by throwing a rock back at him. The rock had a good airfoil shape and curved into a 8 x 12 store window. I walked to the store and talked to the owner and we worked things out. WW

Reply to
WW

There are a few problems with that. First you have to find enough poison ivy. I doubt the local nursery sells it. Then you have to plant it without touching it. Lastly there is the control problem of keeping it from taking over your garden. Now the kids may not recognize it. Though presumably they will in a short time learn what it looks like.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Yup, You and Op were once a kid too., Eh? Life is not always black and white. Give some, take some, we live together in peace.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

They do make motion activated sprinkers:

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

lol

Reply to
John Doe

Take up bee keeping?

I would think a hive or two of those African-American bees would keep the kids out.

Reply to
John Dillinger

dem bees bust a cap on you ah?

When I used to babysit, I had a penalty box. The boys would leave something out, and I'd put it in the penalty box. Cost them ten pushups to get it back. Might work, serious, for the football over the fence. Make sure you see the pushups in person.

. Christ>> There are a few problems with that. First you have to find enough poison

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Oren,

The OP has a garden, not a pool.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Oh my God, now we have Politically Correct insects. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I wonder how bees changed names, through the generations?

At various times, we'd had colored bees, dinges bees, darky bees, Afro bees, black bees, and what other bees did I miss? Aunt Bees, of course. In Mayberry.

. Christ> >>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

remove your head from your ass and replace it with the football

Reply to
ChairMan

I doubt he even has a house let alone a garden. If the kids are ringing his doorbell, why not answer it and talk to the kids? Seems to me that to resolve the problem(if there really is one) is to talk to the "problem" I find most post from homeowners hub to be highly suspect due to the stupidity of most of their questions YMMV

Reply to
ChairMan

Which is why few here take them seriously.

Reply to
krw

an certainly offer suggestions.

with them. This can be a real bitch, depending how cooperative they choose to be.

n't be too hard. If not, or even if so, here's a strategy: Invite them in (or on porch) for hot chocolate, ice cream, juice -- whatever. Chat about school, sports, culture, friends.

y/clique/political party/religious affiliation/whatever with more deference than strangers. So after you & the kids have bonded, what comes next can be more effective.

e their creativity; it's very flattering.

ds, each suggestion more childish and counteproductive than the last.

NOBODY picked up on meeting and reasoning with the kids. ALL assumed they were BAD. That's called "projecting".

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson