kids keep kicking their football in to my back garden several times a day. What are my rights?

Page 1 of 3
kids keep kicking their football in to my back garden several times a day. What are my rights? If i dont answer the door they climb the fence. What can I do?
message

When they climb the fence the football is nowhere to be seen. You don't have to return it, tell them to come back tomorrow--then when you do return it perhaps they will be a bit more careful. MLD
On Sunday, September 8, 2013 8:44:01 AM UTC-7, Anonymous wrote:

Garden groups probably can't be very helpful from a "legal" POV, but we can certainly offer suggestions.
My first would be to identify the parents. You can then try to interact wi th them. This can be a real bitch, depending how cooperative they choose t o be.
How do you identify the kids? If they're from neighboring homes, shouldn' t be too hard. If not, or even if so, here's a strategy: Invite them in ( or on porch) for hot chocolate, ice cream, juice -- whatever. Chat about s chool, sports, culture, friends.
It's a universal that people tend to treat others within their clan/family/ clique/political party/religious affiliation/whatever with more deference t han strangers. So after you & the kids have bonded, what comes next can be more effective.
Ask them what you can do to keep the football out of your yard. Yes, mine their creativity; it's very flattering.
What's your set-up? Is it a question of a higher fence? A wire netting? Wh at?
HTH
On Sunday, September 8, 2013 9:18:21 AM UTC-7, Higgs Boson wrote:

to be.

(or on porch) for hot chocolate, ice cream, juice -- whatever. Chat about school, sports, culture, friends.

than strangers. So after you & the kids have bonded, what comes next can be more effective.

NOBODY picked up on meeting and reasoning with the kids. ALL assumed they were BAD. That's called "projecting".
HB

Even I told the moronic OP to just answer the door.

The old bag does that a lot. It's the lefty way.

Typical leftist's "thought" process. It's their only neuron.
On 9/9/2013 4:17 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

I met my new neighbor several years ago when I heard a knock at the door and it was from a group of six little Black children lined up like stair steps who very politely asked me if I could get their ball which had sailed over the fence into my back yard. I said of course, you're nice kids and I'll get it for you. When I met their father, I complemented him on how well behaved and polite the children are. He told me they had been raised that way. In the last few days, one of the boys came by because his little brother had thrown his shoes over the fence and I let him come through the house to retrieve them. Me and my neighbors help each other and look out for each other. The kids always let me and my roommate know if anyone comes around the house or our vehicles when we're not home. ^_^
TDD
Wish all persons in every situation were as polite.
A couple owners ago, the trailer next door to me had two boys. single Mom, she's rather hard of hearing. I remember the boys threw some thing on top of their own trailer, Frisbee maybe. Another man and I threw a rope up, and snagged it and fished it down for them.
Sadly, both next door neighbors are smokers. Yikk.

On 9/8/2013 10:44 AM, Anonymous wrote:

"RIGHTS?" is where you start a conversation? Methinks this is going to go badly with that attitude.
Since it clearly has to be an adjoining yard, go knock on the door and talk with the parents first.
Are they really doing in any damage or is it just an annoyance--that has a lot to bear as well as how old an age set and all...

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 15:44:01 +0000, Anonymous

You have numerous options.
1. Electrify your fence.
2. Buy an ornery Pit Bull and let him run free in your yard.
3. Test football to determine maximum inflation pressure.
I liked Red Greens idea about painting it pink. Use your imagination, the possibilities are endless.

companies and many areas require some sort of signage.

Perhaps not but they're quite likely to comprehend an electric fence. Nothing is guaranteed, anymore, though.

He's probably not a recent graduate of public schools, either.

Not really. As long as it is up, it is legal. Now you will note that I haven't discussed logical or stupid (g)

Label the fence as being electrified and it is no longer a booby trap. Matter-of-fact, simply labeling it as such may be enough. And run some dummy wires to make it look like it is electrified.
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 15:44:01 +0000, Anonymous

I doubt if their being more "careful" is the solution. I'm sure they kick the ball as straight as they can. And they also kick it as far as they can. Playing ball while holding back on one's kicks is no way to learn the game. Is it an organized game with goal lines? Perhaps they can rotate the field 90 degrees. Or you can find them a nearby better field, like at a school or even a big church lawn.

My solution was to leave the gate unlatched on one side (the kids on the other were too young to be running around unsupervised, though they kept throwing trash, including used diapers, over my the fence.
Oh, and I threw everything I found on my side, back.
On 09/08/2013 11:44 AM, Anonymous wrote:

Grow raspberries (or any other bush with nasty prickers) along your fence.
On 09/08/2013 03:04 PM, Jack Goff wrote:

A 3' perimeter of Poison Ivy would work as well.

There are a few problems with that. First you have to find enough poison ivy. I doubt the local nursery sells it. Then you have to plant it without touching it. Lastly there is the control problem of keeping it from taking over your garden. Now the kids may not recognize it. Though presumably they will in a short time learn what it looks like.
On 09/08/2013 10:17 PM, Don Wiss wrote:

Take up bee keeping?
I would think a hive or two of those African-American bees would keep the kids out.