Kenmore Not Agitating

Kenmore 11020722990, ck2220123. Water fills, no agitate, water drains and it spins as indicted by the timer.

Pulled the agitator. Dawgs look OK. Pulled the cover off. Pulled the motor and the direct drive three-legged forks and the rubber bushing that goes between them are all in good shape. Put motor back on. Pulled water pump off back of motor. Motor not turning when in agitate cycle. Spins like a mother in spin cycle. While in agitate mode I manually turned the motor shaft a couple of times and it started agitating. I stopped the timer and tried it again. Same thing, no agitation until I manually turned the motor shaft a couple of times and then it took off.

Replaced the start capacitor. Still not agitating on its own. It will start agitating if I spin the motor's shaft by hand.

I suspect that the motor is bad, but at $145 I'd like to make sure before I drop a dime.

Motor Impedance: Bk --> Y = 5.3 ohms Bu --> W = 1.7 ohms W --> W/V = 2.5 ohms W --> W/O = 2.9 ohms

Centrifugal switch: Pushing in on actuator switch - Continuity between R --> Bk and Or --> Bu Actuator switch released - No continuity between R --> Bk and Or --> Bu

Advice?

Reply to
fredman

Hi,

Any hummmmmmm from the motor? *Not* written in stone, but if a motor can run in one direction ( spin ) it usually is capable of running in the other direction ( agitation ). Possible burnt/weak contact in the timer? If not then a loose wire between the timer motor? If that is ok then yes a bad motor if left.

The water level control is responceable for stopping the power to the filling valve and redirects the power to the timer to start the agitation/wash mode, may be worth checking out as well.

Canadian price? Cheaper here....

level control.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

It hums. Sometimes fairly loud ... other times fairly faint. The motor will run and agitate only if I give the motor shaft a spin or two to help it get started. Since I was only touching the motor and not the timer at all, I figured it must be motor related. Is it possible that when spinning the shaft enough current is passing through the timer to allow it to run but there's not enough to make it start running on its own? How can I test the timer to determine if that's the problem?

That appears to be working normally.

here....

Timer.

Texas price at Sears. Thanks for the tip.

Fredman!

Reply to
fredman

Hi,

Possible you are "pull" starting the motor manually by giving it a tug.

If a metal body timer, the outer cover ( power off first ) can be removed to visually inspect for any burnt/blackened timer contacts.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff