Kenmore Freezer

I purchased a 13 cubic foot upright freezer from Sears in July of 2006. My wife and I were away last weekend. We returned to find a few hundred dollars of spoiled meat and fish. We never buy protection plans because plans because they only extend for five years and we expect major appliances to be functional beyond five years. If they were 20 year plans, I'd gladly pay for them. But 18 months seems to me to be unreasonable.
Since I have yet to discuss this with Sears, I like to know anyone's knowledge and experience.
Dick
Dick Adams wrote:

Hi, Anything from your home insurance?
snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

Can't help with the protection plans- but if you really had spoiled meat after a weekend, then this little $10 gadget would have saved you a bundle- (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Unopened, a freezer should keep food frozen for a couple days. You lose your ice cream- but most everything else would be fine if refrozen within a few days.
Jim
Any chance something caused the breaker that powers the freezer's plug to trip?
I never buy insurance for stuff I can afford to replace or fix myself. Besides being a money loser it can be a pain to get a claim paid.