Kenmore dehumidier question

My unit starts up, but it sounds like the compressor never kicks in, the fan just runs and no water drips. The unit is about 3 years old and is a 40 quart unit. It is an automatic dehumidifier and adjusts down to 40% humidity. I took it off of automatic and put it on constant run and still nothing happens. It appears to be one of Sear's better units. I would like to fix it my self. Do any of you have any suggestions as to how I can correct this problem with the compressor not starting up, or should I junk it? It really is a nice unit and I would hate to trash it. Thanks for your help.
I believe your unit has a 5 year sealed refrigeration warranty which includes labor so you might want to pull out your warranty and verify that. Unfortunately I called Sears and a moron told me otherwise and I dumped one that I could have had fixed for free. Of course if it is an electronics problem then you may not be covered by warranty.

Hi,

That does little to ID the unit...model#?
Does this unit have a frost gaurd?

Jeff The model # is 580.5245020 Ser # 201KA14211. I don't know if it has a frost guard or not. I appreciate your help on this unit.
Joe wrote:

has a

Hi,
580.######## is a Goldstar/LG built dehum for Sears, completely electronic and has frost gaurd sensors and electronic boards :(
If the compressor will not run about the simplest thing to do is check to see if the compressor is getting 120 volts AC with a volt meter....if yes a problem with the compressor or compressor overload....if no, problem with the electronic controls.