Keeping hardwoods looking new

I have a beautiful, multi-level home that I just refinished all the hardwood floors in. Not only are there a lot of levels, but each room is fairly small. My standard, upright vacuum cleaner keeps marking up the walls every time I attempt to move it from room to room, not to mention that it's a pain to maneuver it around! With all the dust that collects, I NEED to clean the floors often- can anyone suggest any other appliances I can use to keep the new finish "new??"

DennisZerillo wrote:

Then you should be able to afford a house cleaner to come in once a week.
On Tue, 17 May 2005 20:59:06 GMT, DennisZerillo

A broom? More seriously, is the vacume marking up the walls when you're carrying it from place to place, or when you're trying to use it? If the latter, why isn't your baseboard taking the hits? That's what it's for.
On Tue, 17 May 2005 20:59:06 GMT, DennisZerillo

A Dustbuster for the dust and fur, a broom for the sand and grit, and a Swiffer to finish off.
Add strategically-place rugs (eg. at the entry ways) to trap dirt and grit which acts as sandpaper on the floors when people walk on it.

Get a Swiffer, and a few air purifiers for the largest rooms. We bought two of these: (Amazon.com product link shortened) and they cut our dust levels *way* down.
DennisZerillo wrote:

Roombas?
(Okay, what's the plural of Roomba? Roombi?}
snipped-for-privacy@for.harvest says...

Thanks for all the suggestions I might just get someone to do it for me twice a week. Maybe next week I will have questions on how much should I pay someone to dust and mop my floors. And, should I trust a stranger with my precious floors is the more important question.
What are "Roombas?"
message says...

http://www.fishingtripsusa.com /

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=roomba&btnG=Google+Search
On Tue, 17 May 2005 20:59:06 GMT, DennisZerillo

Add my vote for a dustmop.
DennisZerillo wrote:

I'd say Murphy's Oil Soap and some kneepads. Mine are in great shape, and they're roughly 64 years old now.

Keep in mind, even if you never walked on them, there will be some aging of the color over time.