keeping new fence boards level at top

I'm going to have to replace a 30' section of privacy fence. The ground under the fence is uneven and is lower in the middle than on the ends.

Is it easier to put a string across the top, and cut each board to length, or simply put boards up following the ground line, and then make one long cut across the tops to level them?

Also, what do you do when you get to a point where a standard width board is too wide for a fit? Rip it the whole length?

Reply to
RB

Depends on your preferences. Think about when you drive down the road and see a fence... If the top is level, do you notice it? Or, if the top is parallel to the ground,, do you notice that? Whatever you think looks better... After all... It is your fence.

Reply to
Bill

Lay a 6" by 6" plywood scrap on the ground first (to support the board), hold the board in place and nail it on, repeat for the section. Determine your top height at both ends of the section, snap a chalkline between, skil saw off the top.

A variation on that theme I used; put a nail at the top height of each section and hold a scrap (1/4" by 1") and bend it down in the center about

5" to form a scallop. Mark and cut.
Reply to
platapus03