Keep the lid on, or not?

The conundrum of toilet seat placement has been professionally investigated.

When mathematicians (I'm one) decided to tackle the problem of toilet seat placement, I got interested. The results of applying game theory to the question of "Leave up or down?" are interesting.

Assumptions had to be made, of course: The female performs more toilet operations because of a smaller bladder, but the male drinks more beer. Not considered was potential prostate problems.

Mathematical calculations demand the seat be left in its last-used position. Researchers, however, conclude that the seat should be placed down after toilet use. It turns out female hectoring is more compelling than science.

Other possible considerations, such as esthetics, sanitation, and pet hydration were ignored.

Reply to
HeyBub

What is so difficult about lowering the toilet seat if it is up? Does the female just sit down without looking and wedge herself into the bowl? You need do that only once and learn a lesson for life to look first before you sit. I think this toilet seat conundrum is more a question of esthetics. To a female a up toilet seat looks ugly and un-neat. She wants her house to look tidy. That's it.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

In an earlier part of my life, I often spent weekends at a female-only house (Mother, 2 little sisters, various strays wandering through.) Whenever they would bitch about the toilet seat, my stock response was 'You're lucky I bother to lift it.' That usually shut them up for awhile.

aem sends...

Reply to
<aemeijers

Sanitation is a big issue in public facilities with unisex rooms (airplane toilets are scary). I always thought that remote control seats would be a nice idea. Nobody wants to touch the damned things.

As one poster said, the gals just hate to look at the seat in the up position.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

investigated.

closing line in article

"It&#39;s for pure sanitary and safety considerations."

amen to that .. i keep it closed for 2 reasons (one stated in the article)

(a). less chance of objects falling into it (like some hotel chains love to put towel racks and / or other shelves right over the tank. if object should fall of shelf, where&#39;s it going ? right, straight down into the bowl.

(b). not mentioned in article - not that i subscribe to this, but doesn&#39;t hurt to comply - principles of feng shui - that bowl is a waste depository, bad energy, blah, blah, blah.... all practitioners say keep it closed.

Reply to
nospam

Yes, but gals are not usually very handy. If the male member of the household just accidentally happens to remove the two screws that hold the lid to the hinge and the lid vanishes thru the magical powers of transendental trash disposal, the female species in that household wont have a lid to close and wont be able to replace it with a new one. (unless she has a boyfriend on the side). Of course you, as the male species and most likely (according to her) the lesser half of the union (like the smaller half of a galvanized plumbing union), WILL need to put some sort of lid across her lips as she mimics a female dog in heat with her tongue. If only Home Depot sold smaller toilet lids that were intended to be attached to those lips. the male species would not have to cope with all of this and could spend more time drinking beer in front of his computer while looking at pictures of other unclothed members of the female species, who are always more appealing because they never say those deadly twelve words "when are you going to learn to put down the toilet lid".

Reply to
Gerry Atrick