Change Siding

Recently my home got hell damage on the aluminum siding. My insurance company offered changing two sides of the house. A contractor company offered us to replace all sides with Vinyl with same amount of money. I worried about the value of the house will be affected by changing from Aluminum to Vinyl siding, is my concern reasonable? We live in north-midwest US area where the temperature are relatively low all year around.

I am new to home stuff, should I replace all sides to Vinyl? can someone give some suggestion?

Thanks very much ahead. Novtim

Reply to
Novtim

I can't imagine it would.

You may want to call a realtor and just ask if having aluminum siding over vinyl is a selling point.

If it's not I would go with the vinyl if only because it doesn't dent in hail storms.

Reply to
greg6755

Agreed. In my book vinyl is superior to aluminum. It's going to resist dents and scratches better.

We had a bad hailstorm in NJ a few years back. None of the siding was damaged but the vinyl trim and shutters were messed up pretty bad.

Repairs were easy and cheap.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Replacing two sides will probably look like crap unless it is new and easily matched. IMO, vinyl will add, not subtract, from the value of the house. Use a good brand and it will last 50 years.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That's a hail of a deal. :)

simply shreds vinyl to ribbons here and exposes the underlayment and more during severe storms so I personally wouldn't consider it. The AL siding gets dented, of course, but doesn't normally get totally torn through as vinyl so is still able to shed water. Not sure whether this was an aberration of a storm for your locale or not -- if it was very recent, this is quite an unusual time of year for severe hail in the northern US.

I'd probably go back w/ the aluminum if it were me, assuming they can get a reasonable match. There's steel siding on the house here and it has been through a number of severe hailstorms in the approx 30 years. It shows some dings and dents, particularly on the south side, but hasn't required replacing any, at least so far (knock, knock... :) ). We did miss the hail track from the really, really bad one that took out every roof and every window on the east and north sides of virtually every house in town three years ago this coming spring. It, of course, was a "mother of all hail storms" w/ baseball to softball-size hail and 80-90 mph wind for 45 minutes. That's a one- in-several-hundred kind of event, even here.

Anyway, if your area is anything like here, I'd stay away from vinyl.

Reply to
dpb

This morning the repair company showed me .046'' Crane vinyl sidings. He also said the new vinyl siding will increase the value of the house. And his company did many replairs/replacement in the neibourhood. I think I will take his offer.

Thanks all of you. Have a nice superball weekend.

Regards, Novtim

Reply to
Novtim

Did he offer you the 'special discount' for being in his picture book to show future customers, too?

aem sends....

Reply to
<aemeijers

You DO NOT want vinyl siding. If this so called HELL damage is only on two sides, and that is all the insurance is offering to pay, then I&#39;d challenge them to find a contractor that could replace two sides and make it match exactly.

Reply to
Steve Barker

No, it breaks. And holes in it.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Better call the Steel siding boys and take a look at that first. You&#39;ll be sorry with vinyl.

Reply to
Steve Barker

And then while they are typing up the cancellation notice try to find more insurance when you had a claim in the last 3 years.

Reply to
Colbyt