joining two "bicycle brake" cables?

Have an old appliance with a broken control cable that looks like a bicycle brake cable except the head part, so I can't replace it with a bike cable. But is there a way to join two such cables at mid point?

Perhaps I could crimp the cores of the cables. But the crimped portion no longer fits into the cable shell, I'd need something else to join the shell...

Reply to
peter

It is called a Bowdan cable. Some are stiff enough to function in both push and pull like a lawn mower throttle, some tend to work one way with spring pressure moving the other like a bicycle brake. If it needs to stay in the sheath, you will be better off replacing. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

I'd agree. If the old part is no longer available, perhaps the end fitting could be taken from the old one and attached to a new cable. W/O some idea what the end/function might be it's hard to say anything more, but a mid-cable splice is unlikely to work well. Unless there's a return spring in the compression mode of travel, the spliced section will tend to buckle if there's any force of significance at all required.

Reply to
dpb

Bicycle cables can be bought by the foot. You can buy the cable and casing separately. Just take your parts to a bike shop, and see if they can help you out.

Reply to
scott21230

You can also check with a hobby shop that caters to the RC model crowd. They use cables to connect to the plane's control surfaces for many of the larger models and there are a whole slew of couplings that allow you to couple cables together and to put what ever end you want on the cable. You have to know how to solder though.

Of course the coupling has to remain outside the cable housing.

dickm

Reply to
dicko

I agree that it's hard to tell what you need without knowing more or better yet seeing more.

However if you mean what I think you do by shells, you don't have to connect the shells (the tubes?) Look at the gear cable on many or all

3-speed bikes. There is only an outer case on the part from the control to the frame near the front fork. After that it is just a cable, with a pulley on the frame below the seat.

If you are only pulling and not pushing, if there is a spring that pulls it back, if first the cable can't go in a straight line to its end, you just need a place to mount the far end of the first shell. From there the cable can go on and be spliced to the start of the second cable. The second cable probably doesn't need to have a shell at all. Like on a bicycle, you can use a pully (or a sleeve, part of the cable shell) to go around corners. Or if the path is still not straight, you can fashion a bracket to hold the shell for the start of the second cable, but it doesn't have to connect to the shell of the first cable. Maybe you can lower the number of corners.

For connecting the cables they have bolts with a slit down the middle and a nut that clamps on the wires in the slit. I don't know if they come as small as you would want or not.

Reply to
mm