jackhammer damage and basement waterproofing?

My unfinished basement currently floods after heavy rainfall, even after paying a professional waterproofing contractor $4200. Since I have I life time guarantee, they said they may need to create a trench around the inside perimeter of the basement wall and drain the water into a pump.

The contractor said they would use a jackhammer on the edge where the walls and floor meet to create this trench.

Now, I have some questions about this ....

Would all this pounding cause damage to the house since the drilling is done so close to the foundation footing?

Also, later on, I'm thinkiing about covering my unfinished basement walls with drywall. Would moisture and mold develop between the basement wall and the drywall?

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
Chang

If you paid 4200 what did you get, it seems as if your lifetime warranty is being tested, are they going to do the work for free. where does the water come in. How high is your water table ,If it floods only after a rain grading and your gutters may be an issue. Im not sure an interior drain is the right thing. mold will be a problem until it stays dry

Reply to
mark Ransley

Sounds wrong. They should cut with a concrete saw then just break up the narrow piece with sledge hammers.

I don't like it. I've never seen anyone do this with a jack hammer.

Different question. Put a moisture barrier up before putting up the walls. That will keep the water out of the walls.

If they plan to put in a sump pump, insist on a battery backup for it. Power is most likely to go out when you need it most - in a storm.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

I think you are being screwed,,,,, and need to talk to someone that is unbiased such as the city bldg. dept,,,,,

Reply to
mark Ransley

Possibly -- the vibrations could trigger cracks in drywall seams, possible other problems as well.

Cutting with a concrete saw and then using a sledge and undermining the trench is more common.

Unless you've got a high water table ... I would expect the fix to be on the outside rather than the inside.

Yes. Get your moisture problem solved first. It is now code (at least in many places) to use a moisture barrier against all below grade surfaces. Then, studs, insulation, vapour barrier and drywall. Ken

Reply to
bambam