basement waterproofing

how much does it cost? my home is 20f width x 24f length. I live in Toronto/Ontario. One company gave me the below quota which i found very expensive, what do you think please? thanks

"A rough estimate for external waterproofing 88 linear feet with a standard 6-7 foot deep dig as follows: We would excavate down to the bottom of the footings, clean the walls, apply a rubberized urethane by hand and also attach a dimple board on top. Install new weeping tile and cover with 2 feet of 3/4" gravel, then cover with a geomembrane. We would then back fill to grade.Rough Price: $10,000 + HST $1,300 Total= $11,300"

Reply to
leza wang

That is a lot of digging. hauling in gravel, etc. Sounds reasonable to me for the amount of work and materials. A backhoe and operator typically goes for $200 to $500 an hour.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That sounds about right for that kind of fix. It's about the best you can get and they will probably guarantee it not to leak for life.

Quite often however there are less expensive remedies. Starting with rain gutters/downspouts, grading the soil so water runs away from the house are just 2. They are 2 of the first things to check.

If the water comes in at floor level and not through the walls, an inside french drain with a sump pit and pump may work. It's quite difficult to speculate without seeing the house inside and out.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

But, what would you estimate an inside around the perimeter of the basement drain system would cost? Leza is a total newbie and needs as much information as possible.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Ive redone quite a few places and stopped leaks with simple cheap methods, rather than the expensive, Dig it all up thinking.

Reply to
ransley

How bad and where does it leak, the price is ok, but do you need all that done. Maybe you do need it, and then you should consider a drain tile system while its all dug up.

Reply to
ransley

The estimate included that. Remember, this is Canada, they use slightly different terms. I'd like to get that done to this place, but it would require killing a lot of trees, and blowing away the rear deck and front porch. I had one company in for an estimate, and he fed me a line of BS about how OSHA didn't allow slit digging, and how they would have to excavate yard ten feet back from the wall, and it would cost 25k for a house not much larger. He then did a real slick high-pressure sales pitch to try to get me to sign a contract for 8k for interior french drains, right then. I basically threw him out. But I can easily see how people who didn't grow up in the business would fall for it. I fixed most of my problem with a little exterior regrading, and will handle the rest when and if I re-do the deck, and get around to buying an epoxy injection kit for a couple small holes where the form-board tie-bars were.

See Leza's other thread about the 90 YO house for more details. Reading between the lines, I suspect some regrading and window repairs, and replacing the gutters with the roof that probably needs replacement, may make a big difference in the wet basement. In the other thread, we recommended a site survey by a good inspector or GC. Nothing replaces seeing it in person.

Reply to
aemeijers

That I don't know, just that it's a lot less than the outside approach.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Having DONE BOTH , exterior french drain, regrade entire yard, new sidewalks steps dump truck loads of grave, dump truck loads of dirt hauled away, and replaced part of driveway, new downspout lines to daylight at street, and some new gutters cleaned it all.I was the laborer. hard grueling work including a complete new lawn. This all cost of 8 grand,

Within months the basement was wet again:(

3500 bucks for interior french drain ended the wet.........

The first failed job did increase the curb appeal a lot. I added nice stuff like lighting.. for appearances.

but all that outdoor work didnt do what the interior job did at a fraction of the price

Reply to
hallerb

quoted text -

We've discussed this to death before- you are the exception that proves the rule. I'd wager your water was coming up from below, while most people have it coming down from sky or the hill above them.

Reply to
aemeijers

thanks Ransley for your reply. Not sure what you meant by "do you need all that done" ? do you mean do i need to do all the basement of just the part that is leaking? the answer: of course i prefer to do only that part but i thought since i started to fix one part then why not all (just to save cost for long run if i will have to do another part)

could you please also tell me what do you mean by a drain tule system?

Reply to
leza wang

What he is talking about is the 'weeping tile' that was specified in your estimate. Different words for the same thing. It is best to have that, but I would try the cheap cures first, since they are mostly stuff you will have to do anyway. If the grading/gutters/roof solves the moisture problem, you can put off or forget about digging the big trench all around the house.

Reply to
aemeijers