Basement Waterproofing

I just got several estimates for digging a trench along the back of my house because of my water problem. One man said he was a contractor and had local references but wasn't licensed. He said a license wasn't necessary as he had insurance. I have no knowledge about these things. Is a license necessary? Should there be a guarantee that my basement will be dry?

Thanks. Win

Reply to
Win

Look in yellowpages under waterproofing. Call several. Some will be crooks and some honest. You need a trench, waterproofing, gravel, perferrated pipe, sock for perforated pipe, fabric to separate dirt from gravel (all the way around gravel), and ground needs to be sloped properly. Any quote that doesn't include all plus good references should be thrown away. Also check gutters and slope before doing anything else.

Reply to
Art Begun

As far as licencing that is up to your local codes. Check with your local building inspections office. I would be wary, no licence, possibly no proper insurance either. If he screws up and the foundation wall collapses and the house is damaged beyound repair, who pays for it?! If he does not have proper coverage, you all will be screwed! If he has insurance demand proof, and follow up with the insurance company to varify the type of coverage he has. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Dont let anybody do work till you verify with the ins co that your house is insured and the workers have workmans comp. Things collaps. No license, sounds like a hack, he may or may not be legal.

Reply to
mark Ransley

Win:

W > I just got several estimates for digging a trench along the back of my hous

W > because of my water problem. One man said he was a contractor and had loca

W > references but wasn't licensed. He said a license wasn't necessary as he ha

W > insurance. I have no knowledge about these things. Is a license necessary? W > Should there be a guarantee that my basement will be dry?

(No responses yet as of my reading??) I would check with your City Hall to verify if a license is necessary or not. You don't necessarily have to rat on him; I'd also check to see if a permit of some sort is required. (Some cities have the information available on-line.)

If neither required then I'd get a copy of his insurance and attempt to verify that.

Any "guarantee" your basement will now be dry will more than likely have legal loopholes. Personally I don't think it would be possible to absolutely positively guarantee anything like that. Water has to go somewhere and it is going to take the path of least resistance. The trenching is attempting to provide such a path -- the water in the trench needs to go somewhere. If your house sets on a hill and the trench outlet is below the lowest point then you will probably no longer have a water problem as gravity is providing the removal - provided the trench and outlet are sufficient to drain the incoming water and the outlet point is not clogged or otherwise restricted. If the drainage of the trench requires a sump pump what happens when the power fails (tripped breaker, neighbourhood outage, etc.)? (There are battery-powered sump pumps.) See the 'legal loopholes'?!

  • Sign in restroom: TOILET OUT OF ORDER. USE FLOOR BELOW.
Reply to
barry martin