J-siding missing on vinyl siding next to chimney: pics

The siding next to my chimney is missing J-channel. Its been like this since I moved in. Somebody tried to caulk it apparantly. Does a j- channel serve any purpose other than aesthetics and looks? Or does it actually serve a wetherproofing purpose? This is on the side of my house where you really can't see it and no one really goes there, so I'm trying to figure out is it worth fixing.
http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/JSIDING #

J- channel is intended to help keep the wind from peeling off your siding at a junction or corner. And it does look better. If your caulk is sturdy enough you may not gain much by redoing it. Inspect regularly and take remedial action if the caulk ever gives up. Good luck.
Joe