It's Trippin'

Page 2 of 2
Tim, well put but your wasting your time, this guy just seems to make it up as he goes along. Unfortunately , I think this is a game to him and intentionally or not, he could be putting people in danger

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 20:22:20 -0400, RBM wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Exactly! ...and the idiot should be chastised every time he show up.
--
Keith

keith wrote:

Not a problem.
--
WARNING:

Do NOT under any circumstances take advice from an idiot named AMUN.

I've been reading this thread with some interest. I have long suspected that GFI's are more or less snake oil. I.e., not worth the cost.
Any way I have a question.
How do you test a GFI. I dont mean pushing the button I mean down the line. If you use a GFI outlet to protect several load outlets how can you be sure that the last outlet on the load side is protected? I know I could just force a dead short with a piece of wire in the outlet but I am reluctant to do that in case the GFI fails I dont want to end up with a large black mark on my outlet. I also dont want to fry the GFI with a huge current spike.
HM
House Mouse wrote:

You need protection from the likes of AMUN
--
WARNING:

Do NOT under any circumstances take advice from an idiot named AMUN.

For about ten bucks at home centers or hardware stores, you can buy a plug-in outlet tester that has a GFCI test button on it. Plug it in, push the button, and if the test lights all go out, the outlet is adequately protected.
--
Regards,
says...

Many of these are also "three-light-testers" and will also warn of miswired outlets. However, these testers will not work on ungrounded circuits since they bleed current to ground rather than the neutral upstream of the GFCI.
--
Keith

Thanks folks.
HM
says...

Why aren't GFCI outlets possible?
BTW, the refrigerator is a kitchen outlet and must be on a (another) separate circuit with *no* GFCI.

Unless a refrigerator is plugged in on an "outdoor" (or garage) circuit.

That's not true. All *new* circuits must be grounded. Older homes may have ungrounded circuits and it is preferred that they are protected by GFCIs.

Sure, as well as "existing".

They simply *do* work. It's not only your life you're playing with here.

They are not required nor suggested for refrigerators, freezers, or quite likely sump pumps (dunno about the latter, but the same reasoning applies).
--
Keith