Is there a way to get UPC labels from a box?

Page 1 of 2
I bought an electronic product from a web site and there is a $100 manufacturer rebate. To get the rebate one must send in the UPC and serial number bar code on the box.
The product was shipped and arrived in perfect conditions, it works, now all I have to do is to mail in the receipt and the UPC label from the product box. This label is a sticker label on the box. Unfortunately UPS has pasted their large shipping label (also has a bar code) on top of it.
So now I cannot get the label off!
I called the reseller - not their problem, UPS put on that label. I tend to agree it's not their problem.
I called the manufacturer's rebate program - they need the UPC label, cleatly visible, cannot be torned or ripped. I explained the situation and they said most likely it won't work. They hire a third party to process this and it probably will be rejected. I offer to cut out the whole UPS label and they can vaguely see the original UPC label under it, they said you can try, but don't get your hope up high.
I called the reseller back, can I mail the box back and they give me another box? Nope.
So, does anyone has any suggestion how I can successfully "lift" off the UPS label without tearing out the label under it? I tried to pull it very slowly and as soon as it reached the label underneath, it began to tear.
Any idea?
MC
Contact UPS for damages to your box? It was part of the shipment and is now "damaged"... a loss of $100.

Spray on WD-40. Soak for 10 to 20 seconds. The label's adhesive should be "oiled up" enough to peel off the label without tearing anything.

"lift" off the UPS

pull it very

began to tear.
Try heating it with a hair dryer then pulling it very slowly.
Bob

I'd try this first as it is not going to leave an oily residue. If it does not work, try the WD-40 route or Goo Gone, a commercial product for things of this sort.

Use naptha, not WD-40. Ronsonol lighter fuel (in the blue and yellow bottle) is 100% naptha. It evaporates, leaving no oily residue, but will dissolve the adhesive and allow the two layers to be separated.
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
Bob wrote:

The hair dryer will work with most labels including the UPS label. Likely you can remove just it.
You can also use a iron. Back in the days when I worked retail I had a tack iron used with photographic mounting tissue that we used to remove old price tags to put on the new (higher priced) stickers. Works great on almost all such stickers.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Bob wrote:

CAREFUL!
UPS labels (for sure) and many others are printed with thermal printers. Heat the label and the whole thing turns black.
Solvents for the glue work best. Rubber Cement thinner is superior to anything else, Naptha is #2. WD-40 is about number five.
Return the product in its entirety and order it again. Before 2nd order, call UPS yourself and ask them if there's a way to instruct the driver to avoid the UPC area. I've found them to be surprisingly accomodating (sometimes).
I can only imagine what's going on at the manufacturer right now. They've probably had an executive level meeting by now and new instructions have been sent out to their box manufacturer. "Urgent redesign of all product boxes required. Move UPC code to area of box most likely to be used for shipping label!" LOL
Just think how much money that would save them. A big part of the rebate program is that a large percentage go unclaimed for one reason or another. If the manufacturer didn't locate the label in this spot on purpose, this is a great idea!
BTW, I agree with the hair dryer idea. If that doesn;t work, there are products like "Goof Off?" that will quickly soften label adhesive.
There is a Goof off type product that is specificially designed for getting stickers up... in fact the bottle has a flat spoonish attachment on the neck.. you slide that under the sticker.. should be avail at big box stores.
Goo-Gone. Skin-So-Soft.
Perce
On 11/08/05 12:29 am miamicuse tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Had this happen about a year ago (except it was Amazon putting their "special" UPC code right on the friggin' top of the manufacturer's UPC). Hitting it with a heat gun did the deed (hair dryer probably would've worked, too).
The box itself is made of waxy type paper, and I can remove it easily with a hair dryer. But when it gets to the UPC label under, that was using regular plain paper, and the sticker is pulling up fibers of that paper - once the bar code is not legible (probably scannable) the rebate is void.
I have not tired the Goo Gone idea. Do I apply the glue on the top side and it will seep into the underside to ungoo?
I can spray it with WD40 too, should I try WD40 first or goo gone first? How about mineral spirits?
I cannot return the entire shipment unless it is a defected product (which it is not).
MC

So make it defective. What is the problem?
bob

Soak it in naptha. Naptha is least likely to attack the inks.
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
Get a light duty heating gun and heat the area, it should peel right off. I've done it 1,000 or more times.
[...]
Now I'm confused. What is "it" that you can remove with a hair dryer? If it's the UPS label, then isn't the UPC label now exposed? Most UPC labels I've seen are part of the box itself and you just cut it out, cardboard and all.

No, the UPC and serial number labels are NOT part of the box. They are another paper label pasted on just like the UPS label. Only they were like 1"x2" in size, and the big UPS label on top of it, is 3"x5" in size. Hope this is more clear now.
MC