Is there a way to get UPC labels from a box?

I bought an electronic product from a web site and there is a $100 manufacturer rebate. To get the rebate one must send in the UPC and serial number bar code on the box.

The product was shipped and arrived in perfect conditions, it works, now all I have to do is to mail in the receipt and the UPC label from the product box. This label is a sticker label on the box. Unfortunately UPS has pasted their large shipping label (also has a bar code) on top of it.

So now I cannot get the label off!

I called the reseller - not their problem, UPS put on that label. I tend to agree it's not their problem.

I called the manufacturer's rebate program - they need the UPC label, cleatly visible, cannot be torned or ripped. I explained the situation and they said most likely it won't work. They hire a third party to process this and it probably will be rejected. I offer to cut out the whole UPS label and they can vaguely see the original UPC label under it, they said you can try, but don't get your hope up high.

I called the reseller back, can I mail the box back and they give me another box? Nope.

So, does anyone has any suggestion how I can successfully "lift" off the UPS label without tearing out the label under it? I tried to pull it very slowly and as soon as it reached the label underneath, it began to tear.

Any idea?

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

Contact UPS for damages to your box? It was part of the shipment and is now "damaged"... a loss of $100.

Reply to
Noozer

Spray on WD-40. Soak for 10 to 20 seconds. The label's adhesive should be "oiled up" enough to peel off the label without tearing anything.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

"lift" off the UPS

pull it very

began to tear.

Try heating it with a hair dryer then pulling it very slowly.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I'd try this first as it is not going to leave an oily residue. If it does not work, try the WD-40 route or Goo Gone, a commercial product for things of this sort.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The hair dryer will work with most labels including the UPS label. Likely you can remove just it.

You can also use a iron. Back in the days when I worked retail I had a tack iron used with photographic mounting tissue that we used to remove old price tags to put on the new (higher priced) stickers. Works great on almost all such stickers.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Return the product in its entirety and order it again. Before 2nd order, call UPS yourself and ask them if there's a way to instruct the driver to avoid the UPC area. I've found them to be surprisingly accomodating (sometimes).

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I can only imagine what's going on at the manufacturer right now. They've probably had an executive level meeting by now and new instructions have been sent out to their box manufacturer. "Urgent redesign of all product boxes required. Move UPC code to area of box most likely to be used for shipping label!" LOL

Just think how much money that would save them. A big part of the rebate program is that a large percentage go unclaimed for one reason or another. If the manufacturer didn't locate the label in this spot on purpose, this is a great idea!

BTW, I agree with the hair dryer idea. If that doesn;t work, there are products like "Goof Off?" that will quickly soften label adhesive.

Reply to
trader4

There is a Goof off type product that is specificially designed for getting stickers up... in fact the bottle has a flat spoonish attachment on the neck.. you slide that under the sticker.. should be avail at big box stores.

Reply to
Jack

Goo-Gone. Skin-So-Soft.

Perce

On 11/08/05 12:29 am miamicuse tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

The box itself is made of waxy type paper, and I can remove it easily with a hair dryer. But when it gets to the UPC label under, that was using regular plain paper, and the sticker is pulling up fibers of that paper - once the bar code is not legible (probably scannable) the rebate is void.

I have not tired the Goo Gone idea. Do I apply the glue on the top side and it will seep into the underside to ungoo?

I can spray it with WD40 too, should I try WD40 first or goo gone first? How about mineral spirits?

I cannot return the entire shipment unless it is a defected product (which it is not).

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

The box itself is made of waxy type paper, and I can remove it easily with a hair dryer. But when it gets to the UPC label under, that was using regular plain paper, and the sticker is pulling up fibers of that paper - once the bar code is not legible (probably scannable) the rebate is void.

I have not tired the Goo Gone idea. Do I apply the glue on the top side and it will seep into the underside to ungoo?

I can spray it with WD40 too, should I try WD40 first or goo gone first? How about mineral spirits?

I cannot return the entire shipment unless it is a defected product (which it is not).

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

Had this happen about a year ago (except it was Amazon putting their "special" UPC code right on the friggin' top of the manufacturer's UPC). Hitting it with a heat gun did the deed (hair dryer probably would've worked, too).

Reply to
Andy Hill

"The box itself is made of waxy type paper, and I can remove it easily with a hair dryer. But when it gets to the UPC label under, that was using regular plain paper, and the sticker is pulling up fibers of that

paper - once the bar code is not legible (probably scannable) the rebate is void. "

Now I'm confused. What is "it" that you can remove with a hair dryer? If it's the UPS label, then isn't the UPC label now exposed? Most UPC labels I've seen are part of the box itself and you just cut it out, cardboard and all.

Reply to
trader4

Again, you seemed to have called everybody except the perpetrator. Call UPS and ask them how they should fix it. They should at least be able to find out the solvent for their adhesive. Maybe even they could deal with the rebate people if you cant get the lable off. I don't know how responsive their customer service people are, but it's worth a try.

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

Actually it IS their problem - their shipping dept. puts the UPS shipping labels on - NOT UPS.

Probably an employee gets his jollies by stickering over all the barcodes on rebate items.

A liberal soaking with Bestine rubber cement thinner (art supply store) works great on loosening labels too.

Reply to
Bob(but not THAT Bob)

UPS just delivers the stuff - the labels are applied by the shipper.

Reply to
Bob(but not THAT Bob)

Go back to the website where you made the purchase. Ask them to scan the upc label for your product and email it to you. Print it and send it in with your rebate cert.

Reply to
Norminn

is a $100

the UPC and serial

conditions, it works, now all

from the product

Unfortunately UPS has

on top of it.

that label. I tend to

the UPC label,

explained the situation and

party to process

out the whole UPS

under it, they said

they give me another

successfully "lift" off the UPS

to pull it very

it began to tear.

them to scan

it and send

No rebate house would accept that. The O.P.s beef is with the product supplier. They sold a product with a rebate promise, they owe you the rebate, even if they stuck a label over the UPC. You could ask them to mail you a UPC. It's a lot easier when you are dealing with a local store. Call the seller and talk to them. Ask for the next level of management each time you are told they can't help you.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

There is a product called un-du, sticker, label, adhesive remover. It's a little squeeze bottle with a plastic scraper attached. Available at office supply store, craft stores, scrapbook stores, Wal-Mart etc. It doesn't even damage the adhesive, the label you take off would be reusable.

Reply to
Lee & Cathi Thomas