Is there a third choice?

Page 1 of 2
Big news article in a recent newspapers said that the cost of funerals has become so expensive that people can no longer afford to die.
Well, the cost of living has also gotten to the point that people cant afford to live either.
Is there a third choice?
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 07:43:41 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Ocean cruise, one way ticket to get you out far enough and jump after dark.
snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote the following:

Cremation is much cheaper. You only rent the casket (if you want viewing) and there's no plot to buy. Besides, you get a nice urn to place on the mantle.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

"Is there a Ralph's around here"? - Walter Sobchak
In

No, not at all. There would still be lots of money in "extras" that met the dead person's lst/s.

Not true of all veterans; not globally applcable.

And can get at your money/property.

So? Once you're dead, you aren't going to care about much of anything.

?? If you are talking about adding 'extras' when you buy the pre-pay then yes, of course but _you_ have control of them not a survivor who can have a guilt trip laid on them for going "cheap".

So don't bother to check it out all all, eh?

Name your own or have the court name one. Like it or not there _will_ be an executor.

So you will just dump the decisions and costs on your survivors? Nice guy!
Harry K
On Nov 20, 7:43am, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

I read once about a musician that was so rich he spent a year dead for tax purposes. I never heard how well it turned out.
-C-
On 11/20/2011 8:43 AM, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

I have strict rules for when my time comes. I want the cheapest funeral with cremation that money can buy. Loved ones jet so suckered into spending a small fortune with just the friggen casket. I have pondered though if I want the cardboard casket or splurge for a pine box.
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 11:44:02 -0500, Tony Miklos

I'm going for the cardboard. My first idea was to just strap me onto a wood pallet and set it adrift, but the law enforcement people frown upon that. Cheap is good, no reason to spend money to get rid of a body no longer being used.

...just throw Harry K's corpse on the compost pile....much more useful

<<The whole funeral thing smacks so much of paganism. Embalming? WTF is that all about? Parade the body through the church, viewing, annointing, praying over it....shades of the days of the pharoahs!!>
The embalming part is to cut down on the stink. Some of our (Ex) LEO's can tell you how far too many "check on the welfare" calls turn out. Imagine the worst piece of rotten hamburger you've ever smelled. Multiply by 1000. Add in the stench of nuclear BO. I don't know why, but the stench of dead humans is readily distinguishable from the scent of dead dogs or deer. There's that general rotten meat smell - even a bottle full of dead bees smells like it - but there's something far, far worse about human decomposition. Imagine every stinky human smell you've ever smelled in your entire life rolled into one.
So I think it's in deference to the living that we embalm so readily. It's probably also why some religions require very quick burials.
-- Bobby G.

Did you never hear of cold storage? What do you think happens to bodies in the morgue?
No, embalming has zip to do with 'keeping the stink down'. They are displayed straight from the cooler and are not allowed to warm up enought to sstart to 'stink'.
Embalming is strictly another unnecessary charge. Yes, it is mandated by law if the body is to be on display. That was another of the funeral director's lobbying successes.
If you ever find out about how a body is embalmed it will turn your stomach.
Harry K

Then go down and buy a pre-pay plan. As for the casket. One is not needed if there is to be no viewing, nor is embalming required. I thinkg the specification is "Immediate cremation".
Even cremation has gone way up. I started the process a few years ago, then procrastinated at that time they quoted $700 range. This year I finally did it and it was already $1700 and change. It won't get any cheaper.
Harry K
On 11/20/2011 8:43 AM, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Depends on the size of the family and number of close friends, their religious beliefs, and presence/absence of specific instructions in the Will. Sometimes it's impossible to avoid a big show.
If the coroner does not require an autopsy, one is not desired by the next of kin, organ donation is not accomplished, and the body was not traumatically mutilated, anatomic donation to a medical school is usually at zero cost to the next of kin.
In many states, it is legal for the mortuary to cremate the remains without a casket. Ashes can be scattered at sea or returned to the next of kin in a simple cardboard box. Funeral parlor services are not obligatory. Placement of the ashes in a columbarium or grave is not obligatory. Not entirely free, but probably the most cost effective.

Instructions should not be in the Will. Often, that is not found or read until the person is already buried. Ooooooooooops, too late!
Best to have an envelope containing instruction where others can find it and open it soon after you are dead.

Powers of Attorney expire when you do. (Also checking accounts and uncashed checks, etc. The checks become a claim against the estate, paid it is hoped at 100%. )

I suspect everything in your family is done right, and the power of attronery and medical power of attorney is for when she is still alive but not entirely with it.

A very wrothwhile thing to do.
I'm pretty sure you can be autopsied if the law finds reason to require it, donate those organs that are good to go, and still donate the rest of your body to a medical school. If parts are missing, they can look at the other table.
I've been carrying an organ donor card all but 6 months for the last 42 years.
And I'm typed and registered as a bone-marrow donor too, for the last 20 years (which doesn't require being dead, in fact the opposite), but I think I got their annual newspaper that says I'm too old to give bone marrow. (How can that be if it's still working for me?)

The mortuary I went to once, had a bunch of expensive caskets on display and hid the cheap ones. 15 years ago, 100 dollars for a pine box. I'm not sure about cardboard in this state. Didn't Sears say it was going to start selling coffins cheaply, or Walmart?

If you're too big to fail, the government will turn you into a zombie.

You get my vote for funniest comment of the month.
-- Bobby G.
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 07:43:41 -0600, generic.homeowner wrote:

Reincarnation, and donate your unwanted human body to medical science?
(I wonder if it's legally possible to donate your body to somewhere that doesn't have medical interests - e.g. McDonalds?)