Is there a garbage disposer that doesn't stink?

A few years back, we replaced our 1969 garbage disposer.

The new one requires scrubbing or other work to keep it from stinking up the house. The old one didn't require any of that.

Does anybody know a current model garbage disposer that doesn't require cleaning?

Reply to
Matt

Are you running the water long enough?

Reply to
Charles Schuler

That was my thought, too. I have never had a garbage disposer develop an odor. Some people like to grind citrus rinds (especially oranges) occasionally, too.

MaryL

Reply to
MaryL

My finding is that garbage in the garbage *can* stinks waaay worse than the disposal. I would suspect drainage, or a bad vent or user error (not running enough water).

My whole reason for having a disposal is less stink.

Perry

Reply to
perrylep

Just be sure to run the disposer (and the water) every time you place food/trash in the disposer.

Pour a little bleach into the disposer every week or two to help.

If you are still having problems, investigate the downstream plumbing for problems. It does have a P-trap, right?

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

--------------- Here's a good way to clean out your disposal, and the pipes. Put in about 3 tablespoons of baking soda. Then pour in some vinegar . It will bubble up and clear out a lot of stuff. Most people don't run their disposals long enough. Make it a habit to run hot water and the diaposal for 45 seconds or more.

Nancree

Reply to
nancree

than the disposal.

Put a sheet of fragrant "Bounce" (the anti-static sheets for the laundry dryer) in the bottom of the trash can every so often. EOS.

Courtesy of the Farmer's almanac.

I put them in the kitchen and curbside trash "cans."

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Mine doesn't stink at all. I rarely do anything to it other than toss in a half lemon or orange every once in a while.

Just a plain old Insinkerator.

Reply to
Mitch

Mine never stinks. I grind egg shells in it every week.

Reply to
cybercat

Yeah, the one we replaced was a non-stinking old Insinkerator. I should have saved it and tried to get the bent fork out of it. But new things are better, right?

Reply to
Matt

If it isn't caused by improper installation, try these:

Karl S

Run the dishwasher outlet through disposal.

Matt wrote:

Reply to
bigjim

Reply to
Goomba38

Grind a lemon once a week and see how that works. Should do the trick.

mrsgator88

Nope, but try this: periodically put several ice cubes into the running disposal. The ice helps to clean the blades and the chamber and then run hot water through it. I also will drop in a couple of tablespoons of baking soda and flush with water. If all else fails toss in a whole lemon and let it get ground up.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

"cybercat" wrote in news:45735839$1 snipped-for-privacy@x-privat.org:

I've always tossed a tray of ice cubes in it every so often.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Are they very common in America? I've never heard of anyone having them in Australia. I've only ever seen them on TV. I throw all of that stuff into the compost bin out the back, to go into the garden when ready. Improves the soil heaps.

Jen

Reply to
Jen

27-story condos don't have a garden out back.

Garbage disposals are VERY common. They are REQUIRED if you expect to sell your home.

People who do need good soil buy it by the bag at Home Depot. It comes from Australia.

Reply to
HeyBub

The only time my disposal stinks is when shit collects under the rubber gasket at the entrance to the disposal. That easily pops out easily, and after being washed/rinsed briefly, no more stink.

If you think about it, "stuff" flys up and hut the underside of that thing, and never really gets rinsed off. Hence the smell.

-sw

Reply to
Steve Wertz

I also throw my table scraps into the compost jar and then into the bin, but one should not put grease, fat, bones, and meat into compost.

That stuff can go into the garbage.

I use my disposal very rarely; usually I put lemon rinds down the disposal as a purifier.

As to the disposal, I've never heard of one stinking. The geniuses on this NG will no doubt have wisdom about the pipes, the connections, other elements that might be doing the stinking.

Awaiting with interest...

Reply to
aspasia