Is there a garbage disposer that doesn't stink?

Page 1 of 4

A few years back, we replaced our 1969 garbage disposer.
The new one requires scrubbing or other work to keep it from stinking up the house. The old one didn't require any of that.
Does anybody know a current model garbage disposer that doesn't require cleaning?

Are you running the water long enough?

That was my thought, too. I have never had a garbage disposer develop an odor. Some people like to grind citrus rinds (especially oranges) occasionally, too.
MaryL
On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 16:18:22 -0600, "MaryL"

What about pork rinds?

My finding is that garbage in the garbage *can* stinks waaay worse than the disposal. I would suspect drainage, or a bad vent or user error (not running enough water).
My whole reason for having a disposal is less stink.
Perry
perrylep wrote:

--------------- Here's a good way to clean out your disposal, and the pipes. Put in about 3 tablespoons of baking soda. Then pour in some vinegar . It will bubble up and clear out a lot of stuff. Most people don't run their disposals long enough. Make it a habit to run hot water and the diaposal for 45 seconds or more.
Nancree
nancree wrote: Make it a habit to run hot water and the

I always was told never to run hot water in the disposal as it can overheat the motor. I do place ice cubes in mine to "clean" and "sharpen" the mechanism. But I use cold water for the process.
Jocelyn De Contents wrote:

LOL.. that's the funniest thing I've ever heard! Since when does the hot water come in contact with the motor??
Oh pshaw, on Mon 04 Dec 2006 01:53:48a, Goomba38 meant to say...

Well, of course, the hot water does not come in contact with the motor. However, disposers are meant to run short cycles, and those with large motors generate considerable internal heat. Using cold water helps to keep the motor cool, while hot water can easily cause it to overload and cut-out.
--
Wayne Boatwright
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

But who on earth is running a disposal so long that it has time to overheat? In fact, my dishwasher discharges into the pipes above my disposal. If there is anything in there, I can hear it and often run the disposal in a short spurt to clear the drain.
Oh pshaw, on Mon 04 Dec 2006 09:05:55a, Goomba38 meant to say...

They can overheat quickly under the wrong conditions. I also run mine when the dishwasher is draining into it and have not had a problem. I have had it cut-off when using hot water and hot a larger load to grind. I'm sure it depends on the individual disposer as well.
--
Wayne Boatwright
The following line was taken directly from my Insinkerator Evloution series Use and Care manual:
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I dunno, but I have had the red switch kick out when I ran hot water in MINE.
I guess the disposal is as dumb as me, huh?
Steve
Steve B wrote:

What "red switch"? I've never had any problems from a garbage disposal or the mysterious "red switch" so I must be doing something right.

I remember Regis having some kind of garbage disposal red switch problem. He didn't know it was there, either. I have no idea if mine has one.
nancy
wrote

They all have one, Nancy. Get under there and look, or just feel on the bottom of the unit. It's usually right around the downward facing edge. Knowing where it is, and where the wrench goes to help clear jams could save you some $$ on a service call where the man pushes the button, twists the wrench in the fitting, gets your disposal running again, and hands you a bill for $60.
Don't know where your wrench is? Didn't save it when you got the unit because you didn't know what it was for? Get another. They're cheap and very handy.
Steve
Steve

You really can't imagine how sorry I am I looked under there. I heard that modifications were needed to put the monster in. I had no idea how bad it looked. Stuck my camera back there ... they had to cut away a bunch of the housing. Not looking any more.
nancy
Steve B wrote:

That "red" button is called the reset switch. I have a new disposal, so to date, haven't needed to poke it.
The hex wrench or Allen wrench is the little tool with the bent end that goes underneath in the center of the unit to unjam the monster. You can find hex wrench sets anywhere, and they are cheap. I have about 3 different Craftsmen sets lying around.
Now I want one of the new In-Sink-Erators that will do artichoke chokes and pineapple tops. Grrrrrrrr.
N.
(As to how long to run the water - I imagine the garbage on its long path from my sink down to the basement, below the floor, and then running out to the sewer line. That's how long I let the water run. My disposal doesn't have an odor; it is nearly always clean enough for me to stick my hand in there (turned off, of course) and find the odd bit of plastic bread bag closer or whatever, without any problem. I noticed at a previous place of employment, though, that the constant dumping of coffee made the rubber gasket thingie really, really nasty on the underside. I imagine that comes from not enough water running through it.)

If you RTFM, or go look under your disposal, there is a red button that kicks out when the unit is too hot, or it is jammed. There is also a hex shaped indentation in the middle that allows you to put a wrench into for the purposes of turning the blades to help unjam it.
JUST IN CASE YOU DO EVER IN YOUR LIFE HAVE A PROBLEM WITH YOUR GARBAGE DISPOSAL, these two factoids will be very helpful.
I want your life. No problems.
Steve

No, that can't be it. :)