Is it normal for water/fluid to be coming from the outside central AC unit

My central air has a drain line that drains into a drain in the basement. The water/fluid is not coming from that drain. Besides that, the outside unit has water around the base. I just noticed it at sun down. I haven't noticed water there before. Can that be normal or am I looking at a refrigerant leak?

Reply to
Metspitzer

A small amount of water at the condenser is normal in humid weather. The refrigerant line heading into the house is insulated, but the refrigerant lines inside the condenser unit are not and condensation will form on the cold portions of those internal components and drip down and run outside. In less humid weather there won't be enough to make it outside the unit before it evaporates.

Reply to
Pete C.

Check for a clog in the hose that comes from the AC to the drain. It's quite common for a clog to form. Disconnect it from the AC and try to blast a garden hose thru it. Lots more pressure will often clean out the clog.

Reply to
jw

Some condensation is normal in hot humid conditions.

You won't see a refrigerant leak, it's a gas at atmospheric pressure.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

It's probably sweat on the return line from the evaporator still being cool enough to cause condensation. As someone else said, the refrigerant will evaporate if there is a leak, there might be a little residual oil stain from the lubricant that is in with the refrigerant, but not enough to drip.

Reply to
hrhofmann

There are storms in the area so I guess it will be wet for at least a few more days. I hope it is just water.

Thanks everyone.

Reply to
Metspitzer