Is all current television equipment becoming worthless?

Page 5 of 7

Some people will need a VCR to play tapes from a large collection. You will have trouble finding one in a local store by then. They will be sold on some website.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

It's not hard to find decent televisions in the newspapers and garage sales and flea markets for $25 and under, considerably less than the cost of a convertor, or even what a convertor will be once they're building them in the millions.

Recent sales where I live indicate that you have to get upto $700-800 to get a digital tuner. The lower costing TV's say digital ready and in parenthesis indicate that you still need a digital tuner. What else you need I don't know. Same thing with HDTV ready--means that you need something else. $300 - $400 sets may here may have a digital comb filter, they will not pickup digital broadcasts. Those 27" TV's that now sell for $200-$300 will be a lot more expensive in March. I suspect that they will be a good deal more than $50-70 extra. We'll see in March.
not snipped-for-privacy@xxx.yyy (Beachcomber) wrote in

I still have a working TV from 1986.I have another that I salvaged from a dumpster,needed simple repairs,dates from early 90's

It's NOT free when the government decides for you instead of market forces.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

If you have such fundamental disagreements with your government, why don't you just use your consumer power, and move to another country? That way, you get to select the government that is most fitting to your beliefs.

Your Attention Please. Here in America, we're allowed to disagree with our government. Moving to another country is not required.
The Real Tom Miller wrote:

And to expand on this. All power flows *from* the people to the government. There is this thing we can do every few years where we can directly hire/fire/retain the people that run the government. Too bad so few people are interested and let the big special interest groups decide everything.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid says...

Odd how Americans seem to think that democracy is unique to their small corner of the world. Well, perhaps not that odd. Americans have never really cared too much for anything outside of their borders, unless it directly affects something _inside_ their borders.
Also odd is how Americans seem to ignore the true lack of power that "the people" have to sway decisions made by their government.
On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 09:52:05 -0700, Christian Fox wrote:

Since this discussion is about US communicaitons policy, yes, it is unique to this "small" corner.

Should there be a reason to care what you're doing if it doesn't affect us? Why do you care so much about what we're doing?

Odd how non-Americans care so much about what we do.
--
Keith

This is what they say. There is little or no truth to it. A few facts to consider:
1. "Herd instinct". People are easily manipulated. It is impossible to reliably determine the facts you need to know to control the government anyway.
2. "Will of the people" is a fantasy. There are individual wills. No group will, only inaccurate means of determining this fictitious entity.
3. Most of the time, you (non-government official, at least) don't get to vote on issues. You get to vote for PEOPLE, who may or may not honor any promises made.
4. A single vote (especially in national elections) has a minuscule effect, an obvious fact a lot of people keep trying (ineffectively) to hide.

It's impossible for individuals to do it anyway.

I still stand by my first statement on this topic. As soon as the Pink Flamingo trailer park retirees hear about this, congress will be deluged with letters and this will getr pushed back ... again,
Beachcomber wrote:

I took two 1984 televisions out of service last year because I got sets with bigger screens and closed captioning. The sets need nothing more than an exterior cleaning and interior dusting; their pictures are every bit as good as the sets that replaced them (and in one case, better).

I drive a 1989, 1 1991 and a 1994. I can work on my own cars without thousands of dollars of test equipment. I have no use for an auto that loses 20% of its value the moment I buy it, because I bought it.

Until 2009, anyway.

It's ten pounds per month. And you'd have at least two major television networks with excellent programming and no commercials. Contrast that with the prices that cable is going to want once they're in a monopoly position to extort; I figure digital basic service will be about $100 per month by then.

[snip]
How often do you have all 3 on at the same time, on DIFFERENT channels? You won't need 3 converters otherwise.

Geez,that is SO stupid;ya think I want to have to move the digital receiver around from room to room each time I want to use a different TV?
Heck,I could just lug the TV/receiver combo from room to room.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Sam wrote:

No, hell, you can run one from room to room, unhooking and hooking it up as needed. That's why no one owns more than one television, Sam.
Or, for a thousand dollars or two, you can have some moron drill several holes in the exterior of your home to run cheap reject cable from splitters attached to the output of the one convertor.
It is a strange situation, and the first time such a move has been tried without mandating that everything be backward-compatible, so people aren't used to having things change on them like this. It's going to happen and even out here in rural America, several stations are broadcasting in both formats already. They hope to minimize the outcry when/if the changes go through (which they will). Only one station here so far has announced when it will cease analog transmissions; 2007. I think it's too early to be able to predict much about what will happen over the next decade with any reliability but it should be interesting. Personally I would have preferred to see the market ditate which format exists in ten years or whenever even, but our gvt sees a huge advantage to the hdtv (and all the other names that have come about for it) and are going to push it thru one way or another. They WANT and think they need those frequencies that will be freed up. One of the most irritable parts of this is, even if stations WANTED to continue to broadcast in both formats, which a lot would, they eventually aren't going to be allowed to. IMO, the only pro-active thing we (tinw) can do about it is to be certain that any TV we buy that we want to keep for more than a few years, had better be hdtv format capable or it could end up being a wasted money situation. It's really bugging me that so many companies are alreadystarting to label their sets as "HDTV Ready" because for many of them, all that means is they've added a cheap input for a converter box to feed into it - which is also going to be a big business in the near future. Radio Shacks and X-10's of the world are going to love it!
I don't think we'll see the old VCRs, TVs & other systems et al being no good because there will shortly be a plethora of "converters" available from every spammer/crammer/scammer/store in existance, who may or may not deliver what they claim. It's just the way things go.
Anyway, my two cents,
Pop
: > I am sorry if this question is OT. But, I believe that the answer to this : > question answer will affect just about anyone in this group: : > : > All current TVs, VHS tape and tape recorders will be trash within 2 years : > due to the pending changeover to HDTV (High Definition TV). : > : > Will I be able to use my DVDs, my DVD player and my DVD recorder with the : > new HDTV sets? : > : > Can my DVDs be converted to the new HDTV format, or will all DVDs and : > related equipment be trash, too? : > : > -- : > Walter : > www.rationality.net : > - : > : > : :
" It's really bugging me that so many companies are alreadystarting to label their sets as "HDTV Ready" because for many of them, all that means is they've added a cheap input for a converter box to feed into it - which is also going to be a big business in the near future. "
HDTV ready means a lot more than a cheap input for a converter box. First, it means the set is capable of displaying HD resolutions, eg 1080i or 760P. There is a significant manufacturing cost differential to build the tube and circuitry to support that. Second, all the large screen TVs already have to not only be HDTV ready, they also must now have a built in digital tuner. I don't remember the exact schedule, but the FCC required this already for large screens. They are working their way down to smaller screen TVs so that in a couple more years, all TV sets sold will have to have digital tuners.
The rub here is that most of us won't ever need or use the digital tuner. If you have cable or sat, that is handled by the STB. But the idea was to shove it in, get the volume up, and have all of us pay for it so that it will drive the cost down for the small percentage of folks who still rely on OTA broadcast. Of course the final irony is that now Congress is gonna hand out $1.5Bil to pay for converters for those that don't want to buy a new TV anyway.
snipped-for-privacy@devnull.spamcop.net (Pop) writes:
| I don't think we'll see the old VCRs, TVs & other systems et al | being no good because there will shortly be a plethora of | "converters" available from every spammer/crammer/scammer/store | in existance, who may or may not deliver what they claim.
I really hope someone comes out with a good converter box for NTSC VCRs/DVRs soon. It would have to include per-program aspect ratio selection (so you don't end up with a tape of letterboxed, pillarboxed 4:3 material) and a reasonable timer. It would be nice if it could control the VCR reliably so you don't have to set _two_ timers. Last time I looked such a converter was not available at any price: the closest I could come still requires me to reset the aspect conversion manually.
Of course, I'd be happy with a selection of ATSC-equipped DVRs that have similar capabilities to current NTSC versions without extensive new DRM hobbles. For that matter, I wish they'd hurry up with the ATSC-equipped 9" and 13" TVs. Maybe if more ATSC-compatible products were available now the cutover deadline would look less drastic.

Ms. Jennifer is either too young, or didn't or doesn't pay attention, or had bad sources. Because this is the biggest change in the industry since broadcasting began.
Color tv has nothing to do with it.
When color tv began it was called ":compatible color". NBC, the leader, would announce, "The following is brought to you in compatible color." I was curious what that meant and 20 years or so later found out. It meant that color tvs could receive and use black and white signals, and that black and white tvs could receive and use color signals.
That's why we still can use b&w and color tvs interchangeably, after 50 years. In fact I still have a tv from the 50's that I haven't used for about 20 years but should still work. (It was built as if it were a suitcase. It's heavy but actually portable from the one handle, although I'm missing the cover. But the tuner was dirty and spraying cleaner was hard to do. Still, in 73 it was my only tv for 5 months or more, and it was good enough. For some stations, I had to jiggle the channel knob a bit to get the tuner to a clean spot, so ruthlessly changing stations every 2 minutes didn't work well..)
This time there will be no compatiblity.
I think I can hook the converter inbetween my attic antenna and my vcr array, and only need one converter for the whole house, but it will mean running upstairs a lot. I have no room and not enough money for a converter in every room.
For outdoors, Iguess I'll have to have a run of cable stored in the hall closet, to go with the extension cord I use now.
And my 2 inch tv, which was a prize and I've barely used, (100 dollar coupon to a store that sold nothing I wanted) will be worthless.

This keeps getting pushed back and I bet it gets pushed back again. As long as there is some old fart in flyover country with a 1946 DuMont who writes their congressman they will back off.
Notice the phone company STILL supports rotary dial phones.