Inverter in new cars

Page 2 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Well, I have no issues with the Sync/Nav in my '09 F350. I put MP3s on a 16GB thumb drive, stick it in the USB port and it works just fine. It has some 10GB internal HD jukebox capability, but I've never bothered to use it since the thumb drive works so well.

I prefer my key pad interface. I can select songs by number without looking away from the road,

in a natural disaster where your home loses power,you can run a small portable TV or radio from your car and be able to get information. You can also keep your cell phone charged,if you don't already have a car charger-adapter.
then there's camping.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

For those disasters I have a 25KW diesel generator, a 5KW gas generator, a 2KW gas generator, a 2KW inverter in one truck and a 400W inverter I can use with either truck, or the diesel tractor. The 2KW gas generator and the 2KW inverter in the truck cover the camper with redundancy. Backup for your backup, it's a wonderful thing.

if you live in an apartment or condo,you generally don't have those items.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

If I tried to live in an apartment or condo, or even one of the hideous "planned communities" I'd be dead after going postal. I need space, and if I have to drive to get to my next door neighbor's house, that's a good thing.

I can sympathize with that!
For me,I appreciate holidays when all my (student) neighbors go away and there's few people around my place.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

There are a number of industrial PC104 type PCs, as well as a couple mobile/auto specific PCs available if you look around. The circuitcellar.com advertiser index will provide some starting points.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Awesome, I had thought of doing that at one time, but never got around to it. Kudos to you for being ahead of the curve.
Jon
On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 10:58:09 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

what the hell are you doing here?

Why the hell buy a Hyundai?
Earl wrote:

Perhaps because they are decent cost effective vehicles, and particularly good to use for commuting to keep wear and tear off a more expensive "fun" vehicle?
Hank wrote:

It's good for getting people to buy the car cuz it's got an outlet in it, that's what.
Maybe a couple of 75 watt bulbs to heat the inside of the car before the heater kicks in? You could use it for charging the batteries on your cordless tools, assuming they don't have a 12V plug on them as well.
Jon
wrote Re Inverter in new cars:

This will work well <(Amazon.com product link shortened)90789482&sr=8-2>

Hank wrote:

Anything that takes 150 watts or less. Drill, razor, mixer, sander, fan, coffee warmer, and other stuff.
--
LSMFT

It is not going to be much of a drill. A quarter inch B&D will trip a 500w inverter with no load most of the time and if you grab the chuck it will trip every time.
Hank wrote:

Personaly vibrator?

A 150W personal vibrator would certainly get one hot but perhaps not as intended.
On 11/26/2010 1:22 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Do you know where macho women buy their vibrators?.....Black&Decker.
TDD
On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 14:29:10 -0600, The Daring Dufas

I figured it would be Ridgid