Invasion of the red ants

Page 3 of 4

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Not here...they are on you in a swarm and bite in unison it seems. No warning, no creepy-crawly feeling, just sudden multiple stings.
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 21:58:49 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

I bet you killed one right before they all decided to bite. It can be an accident, just move the wrong way and crush one and the rest are on the war path.

My tolerance to ant bites has diminished greatly since my heart surgery, and I think it is from the blood thinner coumadin. The other day, I had to go to my cabin. I had to get under it to get some stuff out. My left leg has no feeling zones due to vein harvesting for the heart bypasses. I had a fire ant bite me, and I could not feel it. Apparently, he was there for quite a while. I got a 3/4" nice red mound on my shin that oozed clear liquid for three days, like a spider's bite. It finally scabbed over. Another on my forearm, and another on my face. I cannot imagine getting hit by a bunch of them like I knew in the South. I got hit by five yellow jackets on my leg last summer, and that was no fun. Big welts with clear oozing fluid for three or four days. The good thing was that I couldn't feel three of them. Since then, I have heard WD40 and ammonia are good emergency treatments.
I've been away for about five weeks, and things around the ranchita here have gotten way out of hand. Foxtails up the wazoo, and lots of ant mounds. I'll probably be dispensing Amdro tomorrow. I do want to go buy some grits, though, and do an experiment on two sides of the house. I have two acres to experiment.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

I would not use any harsh chemicals on bites when there might be a chance of infection or delayed healing...I use ice on bee stings, for the pain. Fire ant bites, although rather intensely painful at first, don't bother me a lot...get a white bump like a pimple and then it goes away soon. Had a bite once that took months to heal...probably some kind of spider. It wasn't broken skin, but purplish discoloration under the skin. If your skin is dry, use lotion like Eucerin or some such...a little less vulnerable to injury when you protect your skin. Go fishing and let someone else crawl under the cabin :o)

Put down enough grits and you might get a crop of rats :o)

Caught a pack rat in my shed yesterday. Am currently in the annual war with the local rock squirrels. 17" - 21" in length.
http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/detail.asp?recNum=MA0197
Steve
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 21:40:48 -0700, "Steve B"

A common treatment is a paste made from baking soda. I neutralizes the formic acid in the venom.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Nuke 'em from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
--
aem sends...

Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

Have you tried Raid Ant and Roach killer? Find the next and smoke bomb it.
--
LSMFT

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 08:38:15 -0500, Wilfred Xavier Pickles

_Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth_ Found at a farmer supply store. It is NOT the same as DE used for pool filters.
When ants walk on the tiny fossils it cuts the exoskeleton and they dehydrate.
see also "Diatomaceous Earth - Organic pest control"

I recommend highly Googling "Leiningen vs The Ants". It's a short story of one mans encounter with army ants. Its the first item that comes up. Once you start to read it it will be hard to stop.
Joe G
<I recommend highly Googling "Leiningen vs The Ants". It's a short story of one mans encounter with army ants. Its the first item that comes up. Once you start to read it it will be hard to stop.>
The HG Wells story was also made into a cheesy film starring (who else?) Charlton Heston called "The Naked Jungle" (available from Netflix). Some good nature footage mixed in with an anemic plot and the obligatory red headed romantic lead (filmed in Technicolor). While Wells wasn't right about army ants reaching the US by 1960, he was pretty much on target for the fire ant invasion. I think the most fascinating thing army ants do is to build living bridges of ants over water barriers. Who taught them that? (-:
-- Bobby G.
Joe G
clipped

Might have been my neighbor's kid...I caught him and his friend in my garden once, showing praying mantis how to mate. :o)

for
is
that?
Yikes - kids today!
-- Bobby G.
Robert Green wrote:

That was yesterday...they're grown up and probably parents :o) I had no idea of how anything mated when I was their ages...7 or 8?

do
A school administrator I know was certain that the 7 year old kids in one of the school's classes were being sexually influenced by an adult. I assured her that some kids are very precocious about sex and by age seven I knew of several neighbor kids that were alread "drydocking in the pews" so to speak. Kids now so much more than when I was a kid . . .
How did we get here from Red Ants? Thread Drift Alert!
-- Bobby G.
Robert Green wrote:

Seven-year-old boys and red ants are both household pests :o)
"Wilfred Xavier Pickles" wrote

Yup. Good old fashioned southern treatment. Works great and won't harm pets, kids, environment etc.
On a dry day, put a handful of dry grits (can even be instant) on every mound, also around the house. They eat it, it swells in their stomachs where they can't expand, and kills them. They will carry it into the mound and feed the whole pile including the queen.
Will break down into basic organic material of no harm to the grass (in fact, in time it's a weak fertilizer that will help build topsoil though you won't use enough to notice that). When it rains, after all is dry, reapply for a bit until all ants are gone. Once no more signs, occasionally treat perimeter of yard.

Agree.
But no self-respecting southern ant would eat instant grits ;)
"Oren" wrote

Well, he's from Missouri. Just t'aint the real south there and it's a good way to use them instant sorts up when your Idaho born hubby comes back with a 5 lb sack of the pestiferous things and looks confused when you issue a few 'southernisms at his head'. I reckon they make the instant type to kill ants and yankees. Didn't kill the yankees (tough critters) but kept 'em away from the real stuff so the price is low. Hehehe they H'aint be knowin what they be missin!

"Why, them's Griyuts, Honey"
Griyuts: What no Southern breakfast would be complete without -- grits. "Ah like griyuts with butter and sawt on 'em, but Ah purely love 'em with red-eye gravy."