Invasion of the red ants

clipped

It was winter, so the roaches were pretty slow...had my pants tied shut around my ankles so's no roaches would be tempted to run for cover. I was young and foolish, still furnishing my home and got some real bargains that day :o) Farm auctions were more fun :o)

I had heard about these ladies from a doctor who cared for them. His complaint was that they never bathed....they had a houseful of cats and the cats used the bathtub. Owner told me they used buckets for toilets and tossed it out the window :o) I would not have bothered with the furniture if it had not been really good stuff...painted, so I covered it with bleach before I put it in my car. Made a final check of the house before departing, along with my brave and loyal friend who had dibs on the table. At the top of the basement stairs there was a pile of stuff and what first looked like an antique teddy bear ... not a teddy bear but a dead cat!!!!!

Reply to
norminn

That was yesterday...they're grown up and probably parents :o) I had no idea of how anything mated when I was their ages...7 or 8?

Reply to
norminn

(I know a FL tortoise.. "Gopher")

In Nevada, we have Mojave Max. He became the Spokestortoise in 1995.

We even have an adoption program. Follow the rules and have a desert tortoise for generations. You can only have 'em under the adoption rules.

Reply to
Oren

Gack! I couldn't have lived with that furniture. Ever see the Macolm in the Middle where Hal, after finding an antique chest, opens it and says "Who would hang all these bowties upside down like that?" Yes, it ws BATS!

I'm flashing on an old cartoon where all the furniture in a room is shivering in fear. Was that Beauty and the Beast? That's what I would see looking at furniture that has "lived" through the experience you described.

That said, I rescued an incredibly stinky 12 by 6 deep rubber mat from a restaurant to use in my darkroom. Took me two days, the bright sun, a toilet brush and a bucket of Mr. Clean triple strength to even put a dent in the stink. But it was soooo comfortable to stand on for hours at a time it was worth it. Truth is, I am never happier than when I am rescuing some item that still has useful life in it. And a few that don't. (-;

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Thank God when I moved south, the roaches stayed in NYC. Must have had a multi-year contract.

Thanks for your input!

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

A school administrator I know was certain that the 7 year old kids in one of the school's classes were being sexually influenced by an adult. I assured her that some kids are very precocious about sex and by age seven I knew of several neighbor kids that were alread "drydocking in the pews" so to speak. Kids now so much more than when I was a kid . . .

How did we get here from Red Ants? Thread Drift Alert!

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

The owner of the condemned house was a work buddy who lived next to the condemned house. He kept me up on the blow-by-blow struggle to get the elderly ladies out (to a nursing home) and condemn the house. Finally, he came by a couple of days before demo was scheduled. Being a dedicated antiquer, I knew there would be "stuff" left behind; I was also interested in whatever old light fixtures or whatever might be there. He said "There is just an old built-in cabinet with holes in the doors." What else? "Oh, an old table." A cabinet with holes in the doors is a pie safe; it had many coats of paint and was "built in" in an alcove off the kitchen with molding around it. Because of the trash, it had not been opened for years and years...the trash was knee deep. I just had to rake away the trash, pry off the molding and haul it out. It was entirely covered with paint, so there was no nasty stuff that could have soaked into the wood. Most old pie safes with punched tin doors are trash because they get stored in barns and the tin rusts away. Mine was perfectly preserved :o) The black walnut table was a little dirty, and full strength bleach didn't harm the wood at all.

Reply to
norminn

Seven-year-old boys and red ants are both household pests :o)

Reply to
norminn