Insulating an open ceiling room

I have a small "studio" that has an open beam ceiling - there is no attic (or crawlspace) between the room and the roof. Since it has a small ridge beam (2x) there are rafter ties that run across the room, but otherwise, there is no framing structure at the roof.

I'd like to insulate this a bit and thought of putting insulation on the underside of the roof sheathing, perhaps R-11. I'm worried though that this will make the outside of the roof sheathing hotter, and thereby decrease the life of the roofing shingles. Is this something I should be worried about?

Also, when it comes time for new shingles, can I insulate the roof (exterior) and then put shingles on? If so, would this make it possible to add the insulation on the interior on the underside of the roof sheathing?

thanks,

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bishop